1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MIDYIS results - what do they mean!!!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by KatyJo, May 21, 2007.

1. Hi

I am a HOD trying to get my head round MIDYIS results. Does anyone have a guide as to what the numbers actually mean?
    These are 4 students we teach:

Vocab Maths Non-verb skills score
    75 83 80 100 76
    124 120 107 91 125
    74 94 98 117 81
    90 101 119 103 94

What do these numbers mean!!

I seem to remember someone mentioning that 100 is 'normal' but can anyone put any meat on the bones for me?!?!?

Thanks

2. sorry the numbers were in columns - seems to have unformatted itself!!

3. If that's all you've been given, your data person sure is ****e. Last school I worked in used MidYIS, YElLIS and ALIS (GCSE and A Level for the last two) as well. As a class teacher we got graphs that contained these numbers and scores etc. but the key things we got were target grades based on the data which was a bit more helpful.

These tests come from an organisation linked to Durham Uni - that might be place to start looking.

4. Midyis results are standardised to give a mean score of 100. Each pupil is placed in a band depending on which quartile they are in e.g. a student in the top quartile will be in band A. This gives a profile for each cohort.

There is a correlation between the areas and different subjects:

Vocab ? English, History, MFL

Maths ? Maths, Physics, Chemistry

Skills ? MFL

Non-verbal ? Maths, Geog, Art, Science,Drama,DT

If a pupil has a score of over 130 they are considered to be gifted and talented.

You should also be provided with predicted grades for KS3 and GCSE. These come in the form of chances graphs for each pupil and each cohort. As a HoD this is the most useful info as you can use value added / residual information to find out how well your department is doing.

The website is www.cemcentre.org

5. Forgot to say you get a table of predicted results as well as the chances graphs.

6. Thanks for the explanations - I think I need to sit down with our data person and for them to show me what I can have as a HOD