1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

midwife estimates v's birth weight

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by mousee, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Hello everyone

I'd be interested to find out if the rough estimate a midwife gives for the size of the baby before it's born is ever anywhere close to its actual weight / size. I know that they're only estimates but I'd be interested to know. Our baby's due in just less than six weeks and I've not seen the midwife for five weeks so I've had no chance to ask her about its size. I understand that the more overdue it is the bigger it'll be anyway, but I'm just curious.

2. Hello everyone

I'd be interested to find out if the rough estimate a midwife gives for the size of the baby before it's born is ever anywhere close to its actual weight / size. I know that they're only estimates but I'd be interested to know. Our baby's due in just less than six weeks and I've not seen the midwife for five weeks so I've had no chance to ask her about its size. I understand that the more overdue it is the bigger it'll be anyway, but I'm just curious.

3. Midwife always told me I was measuring large. When I got closer I asked for a prediction of weight from 2 different midwives (never saw the same one twice) and they both said to prepare for a 9lb baby! Out popped my baby just short of 7lb at 4 days overdue! There must have been a lot of fluid in there as I'm not big but did have a huge bump! Cue frantic buying of newborn clothes they had said not to bother with!

4. Mine said around 7lb and she wasn't far off. 7lb 5oz

5. Ours was tracking the line for about 8 and a half lbs and came out at 7 and a half.

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My midwife guessed about 8lbs and he was 7lbs 13 at 10 days late. so i suppose she wasn't far off.

7. My bump measured off the chart but from her palpating (is that the right word?!) my midwife said 8lb something rather than 7lb something. She was 8lb 11 at two weeks late!

8. From scan measurements we were told that he weighed about 4lb at 33+3. He was born at 34+1 weighing 7lb. I had bucket loads of fluid so they couldn't go by my fundal height

9. My MW told me he never gave a prediction as it can worry people, my bump was always average or slightly under on the fundal chart. Out popped a 10lb 2oz baby at 8 days over.

10. Crikey - none of it is very scientific is it? Especially when they're only using a tape measure. I have a modestly sized bump at 34 weeks and I can still see my toes. Baby wriggles loads so I don't want to get too hung up on size. I'm just curious though I'm hoping for a little one, as opposed to a 9 pounder.

11. guess was a 9lb minimum - had measured big all of the way through (I am tiny) had him 4 weeks early weighing 5lb15.
    x

12. I always measured slightly below average throughout pregnancy. 24 hrs before delivery my midwife estimated my baby would be no bigger than 6 1/2 pounds, he was 8lbs!

13. I always measured slightly bigger, midwife predicted 8 and 1/2 lb baby and she was 9lb 3onz 8 days over due - not far off!x

14. Midwife didn't spot how big my baby was until I'd been in labour for 24 hrs - I then was ambulanced to hospital to have a whopping 10 1/2 lb baby by C-section. My midwife had estimated 8 1/2 to 9 lbs and was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. And I was only 6 days late!

15. Growth scan said 6.5lb, baby born 9lb, 2 weeks late, but fundal height didn't get bigger in the last two weeks [​IMG] Fundal height is notoriously inaccurate, especially as different MWs measure it in different ways!

16. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

My midwife was spot on, she estimated 7lb 9 when she saw me at 39 and a half wks and that's exactly what she was 12 days later!!

17. i was told 8 1/2 - 9 lbs and out popped an 11lb whoppa..... it's best not to know. had i known he was that big i'd have been too scared to try naturally and accepted the CS i was offered.

18. Guess was about 6lbs, she was 7lbs 11 and two weeks early so everyone was a bit shocked! My fundal height suddenly increased at about week 35 but they didn't really take it into account. I am fairly petite and didn't look very big, for my size nearly 8lbs was quite big enough! I shudder to think how big she would have been had she stayed in another 2 weeks.

19. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Midwife estimate are just guestimate - you should always take them with a pinch of salt as there are so many factors that just cannot be determined from non invasive measures - even scans are not always accurate late in pregnancy
    I had a friend whose midwife estimated a *slightly above average* baby which turned out to be 13lbs - but it was a noraml delivery - no c-section

20. I just had a scan at 36+2 to check on reduced movement - all fine but sonographer told me it's currently about 7lb2oz so will prob be about 9lb at full term - yikes! Feeling a bit better from this thread that they're often inaccurate but what if it's inaccurate in the wrong direction...! *Crosses legs and thinks it can stay in there*
    Kind of wish she hadn't said, but when I looked in my notes it was actually on the scan data print-out anyway so I'd have read it myself I suppose...