1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Midwife advised me to stop work at 33 weeks - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by nearly qualified, Jun 2, 2011.

1. HI
    I am in a bit of a pickle - went to midwife 2 weeks ago and had to go for a scan as it seemed baby hadn't grown for 2 weeks - when they checked it was that the fluid around him was lower than it should be so I went for another scan today; fluid has dropped even lower and now there is something with the umbilical cord they need to monitor too.
    She asked me if I was still working and what I did (FS teacher) and when I said yes she said she would strongly advise me to finish asap, if it was her she would - just to make sure I am not overdoing it and also because of them having to monitor me every week from now on as he may arrive early.
    Well this came as a bit of a shock to me as 2 weeks ago they didnt seem concerned at all and just said it was precautionary measures having another scan - whereas now it seems to have got worse and it scared me- particularly the fact he may come early - I had to have a betamethasone injection in my hip whilst at hospital today and have another tomorrow just incase he does come early.
    I had planned to work for another 5 weeks yet purely for the money side of things but also within myself I feel fine (just a bit tired but that is to be expected I suppose) so now I am not sure what to do.
    I know the main thing is that baby is well and obviously I dont want to do anything to jeopardise that but I feel like I could keep working for another couple of weeks at least - what would you suggest?
    Thanks for reading x

2. HI
    I am in a bit of a pickle - went to midwife 2 weeks ago and had to go for a scan as it seemed baby hadn't grown for 2 weeks - when they checked it was that the fluid around him was lower than it should be so I went for another scan today; fluid has dropped even lower and now there is something with the umbilical cord they need to monitor too.
    She asked me if I was still working and what I did (FS teacher) and when I said yes she said she would strongly advise me to finish asap, if it was her she would - just to make sure I am not overdoing it and also because of them having to monitor me every week from now on as he may arrive early.
    Well this came as a bit of a shock to me as 2 weeks ago they didnt seem concerned at all and just said it was precautionary measures having another scan - whereas now it seems to have got worse and it scared me- particularly the fact he may come early - I had to have a betamethasone injection in my hip whilst at hospital today and have another tomorrow just incase he does come early.
    I had planned to work for another 5 weeks yet purely for the money side of things but also within myself I feel fine (just a bit tired but that is to be expected I suppose) so now I am not sure what to do.
    I know the main thing is that baby is well and obviously I dont want to do anything to jeopardise that but I feel like I could keep working for another couple of weeks at least - what would you suggest?
    Thanks for reading x

3. I guess what you need to ask yourself is could you forgive yourself if something happened as a result of you working? If LO came early and there are complications because he/she was early, and you had continue working against the advice of the midwife, could you handle that?
    I know I'm playing devil's advocate here and it's tricky because you, yourself feel fine, but I think you need to look at worse case scenario and go from there. Obviousl hoping it'll all be fine and LO arrives on time though!
    COngratulations on pregnancy. I had my LO at 35 weeks and all was OK.
    x

4. Hi there,
    Sorry to hear about this, hopefully it will rectify itself and all will be fine. I think Lilypot makes a good point- imagine if the worst happened and you hadn't folloed the medical advice? Sorry if that makes you feel worried, I really don't mean to, but the midwife sounds like she was trying to drum it into you that it's important, so even through it's a pain having to leave earlier than planned, I would just do it.
    Try to see it as a positive thing, relax at home with lots of good books and know that you're giving little'un best chance of going to term.
    Take care and good luck whatever you decide.

5. I would get signed off sick for 3 weeks as your maternity leave won't be automatically triggered until you are 36wks. This way you are looking after yourself and your baby and it won't afftect your income.
    I had the opposite problem - far too much amniotic fluid and was measuring full term at 30wks. They thought weight of all the fluid would cause my waters to break so gave me the steroid injections at 28wks. LO had a massive growth spurt at 31 and 33wks so was born at 34wks by c-section. Now a happy, healthy baby who was one a few weeks ago.
    Self certify for next week and then arrange the sick note during that time. Take care x

6. Thank you for your advice. After thinking about it all afternoon I know deep down I should stop work, like posters have said I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him - will probably go back in next week and then get signed off sick for next 2 - I might be being thick here but what can I get signed off for - do I just say it is on the advice of my midwife/pregnancy related?
    Thanks x

7. glad to hear you're going to get signed off. best to think of your baby now. do get signed off on full pay til 36 weeks. your GP will decide what to write on your sick note - explain why the midwife has advised you to do it. if your midwife has suggested it, i wouldn't go in next week. your work could be in a tricky position insurance wise and legally if you go in when you've been advised not to. remember pregnancy related sick leave is not treated as normal sick leave either.

8. Totally agree that you have to get signed off - just not worth the risk. With my son, my doctor had no qualms whatsoever about signing me off, and you have the advice of your midwife to back you up. As others have said, maternity pay doesn't kick in until 36 weeks, so would only be a couple of weeks early.

Congrats and good luck xxx

9. Thank you for all your advice - will speak to mw this morning when she comes.
    I just know what my HT is like (male and not very understanding) and its the time of year - we will be starting all new intake preparations and new parents talk etc etc when we get back so I can just see his face when I tell him! I know its not really my problem but I feel guilty for letting them down.
    My TA rang yesterday and told me to be more selfish but I think its the nature of the job that puts you under pressure to not let anyone down - especially the children! I have an adorable class this year who I am gutted about not being able to see through to closer to the end but I suppose it cant be helped.
    If anything I suppose having next week off will give me time to finish off all the reports and EYFSP data - haha - something we normally have to do in our own time anyway!

10. 1) You are not going to be in school in Sept when the new intake starts so doing the donkey work for someone else will not help your situation. Like you say it's not your problem.
    2) Your TA is right!
    3) Children are resilient - when you go in with baby for them to see they won't remember that you left all of a sudden.
    4) You are the most important person in all of this, do what is right for you.

11. Just imagine, for an awful second, that something happened to your baby because you didn't take it easy....the guilt about leaving your class a few weeks early is nothing compared to what that guilt would feel like.
    In the lifetime of your pupils / the school this is just a few short weeks.... but for you and your baby it is a crucial, lifechanging time.

12. There's no question- your baby comes first! If you have been advised to take it easy then take it easy you must. Go to the GP and get signed off although I do understand your reasons for wanting to go and talk to your head first. Luckily when I was signed off due to a slapped cheek outbreak, my acting head was amazing and told me in no uncertain terms to stop worrying baout school as my baby was number one priority (I'm lucky it was the acting head as my actual head wouldn't have been so sympathetic- I'd have stuck to my guns though!) School is just a job adn your baby is your family- no choice really!

13. Hi nearly qualified, your situation is exactly the same as mine was - I had low amniotic fluid & had to be monitored around the umbilical cord 3 days a week from 32 weeks. Also I had to have steroids injected in case my baby came early and he did as I was induced as he wasn't growing as well as he could be. I had my little boy at 36 weeks :)
    I definitely think you need to stop working as your baby is so much more important than work and you can always go back to work 5 weeks earlier than planned at the end of your maternity leave.
    As your situation is so similar to mine, they may want to induce you anyway before your due date so you will want to not only relax for the sake of your baby, but have time to relax and prepare for the arrival yourself.
    I know you want the extra cash - but you will realise it is not that important once your little one comes along.
    All the best ;) x

14. Hi thanks for that,
    Its my fluid levels they are monitoring and the umbilical cord too but baby is growing ok - but last week I had the steroid injections just incase!. They have talked about inducing - I go again for another scan on Thursday so I presume they will see what the situation is then and go from there.
    I am actually glad I am stopping earlier than planned- been in today for first time after a weeks break and feel absolutely shattered! I think if I had not had a week off to relax a bit I would have felt ok but the week off has made me realise just how tiring running around after 4 and 5 year olds is!!
    I know the cash is not important - we will find it from somewhere and manage - much more important that lo is ok. Thanks x