1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MIDI to USB HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Urgent

Discussion in 'Music' started by cmf, Mar 22, 2012.

1. cmf

cmf

Yamaha 303 GM keyboard with 5 pin din midi in/out connected to PC via MIDI/USB cable.
    Play keyboard no problem with headphones connected to keyboard.
    Run Sibelius 7.
    Can hear Sibelius 7 with headphones connected to computer, can input notes via mouse, pc keyboard.
    I have been able to input notes via the Yamaha gm keyboard and Sibelius will score the notes, however, I cannot hear the notes going into Sibleius with the headphones connected to the computer, unlike my USB Evolution 49's which I can hear the notes played on the keyboard going into the score on Sibelius.
    So if I play the Yamaha gm keyboard with the metronome keeping time in Sibelius, I cannot hear what I am playing if my headphones are connected to the computer.
    Has anyone solved this problem?
    I have very little time to get back to the ICT dept who are looking into new PC's/Mac's and unless I can solve this I am going to miss out on new ones. I cannot have evolutions on every computer!

2. cmf

cmf

Yamaha 303 GM keyboard with 5 pin din midi in/out connected to PC via MIDI/USB cable.
    Play keyboard no problem with headphones connected to keyboard.
    Run Sibelius 7.
    Can hear Sibelius 7 with headphones connected to computer, can input notes via mouse, pc keyboard.
    I have been able to input notes via the Yamaha gm keyboard and Sibelius will score the notes, however, I cannot hear the notes going into Sibleius with the headphones connected to the computer, unlike my USB Evolution 49's which I can hear the notes played on the keyboard going into the score on Sibelius.
    So if I play the Yamaha gm keyboard with the metronome keeping time in Sibelius, I cannot hear what I am playing if my headphones are connected to the computer.
    Has anyone solved this problem?
    I have very little time to get back to the ICT dept who are looking into new PC's/Mac's and unless I can solve this I am going to miss out on new ones. I cannot have evolutions on every computer!

3. This is all about what device Siblius is using as a sMIDI play back device.. Sibelius takes MIDI messages from your keyboard (no problem there) and then plays them back as sounds either using the computer's on board sounds (often Microsoft Wave Table or other virtual sounds) OR it can play them BACK into the keyboard and you will hear the keyboard play - this latter version is by far the best way.
    In the PLAY menu at the bottom there should be a devices link. Go there and look to see if there is a USB device. You need to select this device as your playback device. You might havre to click New Setup first and create a new profile - this is fine, it won't do any damage. Then add the USB device to the profile. I too am on Sib 6 so this may look a little different - however I'm always having to show kids how to do this and its quick to fix. My problem is that, once fixed, it does not remember it.
    Sibelius works on most computers and is especially designed to deal with Midi keyboards and devices - you don't need to change your computer.

4. cmf

cmf

Thank you for those. I have essentials for the sounds on playback. Yes I can hear the keyboard using headphones pluged into it and can hear the sounds played back on the computer but its when iinput the notes I cant hear them. Withhead phones plugged into the keyboard I cannt hear the metronome so I need to use the headphones on the computer. I have tried changing the play back sounds and none work. Oh and its Sib 6 not 7, sorry.
    Any other ideas?