1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Midges!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by anon294, Jul 9, 2011.

1. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or personal.....
    How much of a problem are midges in the Highlands and Islands in July/August?

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Depends on whether they like the taste of your blood or not. I get eaten alive, my husband was never touched by them.

3. Also, it depends on their breeding cycle, which may vary with the type of summer. Visit the earlier the better, if only because of more sunshine & less (if possible) rain.
    When I was a kid we used to have holidays in Sutherland during the English school holidays; my parents hadn't quite worked out the seasonal link! Now I giggle at English campers in late August... [​IMG]

4. Thank you for the replies.
    I am a bit of a magnet for some insects, so I will bear in mind the individual variable, and thanks too for alerting me to the 'need' for an earlier holiday.
    [​IMG]

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

6. I read that using citrus based perfume/shower/beauty products deters them.
    Not sure if there is any real truth in it, but I haven't been bitten in years!

7. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

I usually get eaten alive by them, my wife doesn't - although this year they seem to have been particularly bad.
    I take antihistamine for hay fever, and this actually seems to help - the bites aren't as big and don't itch for as long. Also, if you're camping, light a camp fire or barbeque - they don't like smoke either (if you smoke, then they'll stay away too.)

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

There is. Skin so Soft works very well and it contains citronella and the manufacturer boasts of it's subsequent insect repellent properties. It also makes your skin feel nice. It's very unlike products like Jungle Juice; smells 'orrible, nips your skin and doesn't deter the midges from feasting on you.

9. Certainly works. Workmen building the Skye bridge were being eaten alive until locals suggested Skin so Soft. It has to be the oil, apparently it coats the skin with a layer that the midges don't like to bite through. It's not just the smell repelling them. I have used it often, and it always works. The next best thing if you can't get it, is Jungle Formula, which most branches of Boots sell. But I have found that the local shops in the Highlands are selling Skin so Soft nowadays.

10. I agree with the Avon Skin so soft, it does work certainly in the UK and doesn'd smell horrid or have possible health issues that DEET products may do. Having said that, in malaria zones of course I DEET myself up to the nines and wouldn't just rely on Skin so soft!

11. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I've also found some patches which work quite well.(can't remember the name but they are in a purplish pack) Saves you getting oily/smelly hands. I also have midge hat which is especially useful when they are really really bad and if you are not moving eg pitching a tent or in our case trying to fix the bikes onto the car!

12. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Avon Skin so Soft is currently down to £2.60 a bottle on the Avon site. Google Avonshop to get there!