1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Middle to Primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by himself, Feb 19, 2011.

1. I have worked in a middle school for 4 years and have recenltly been appointed Assistant Head. Ideally, I would love to transfer to the primary sector. Prior to joining my current school I had 3 years Special Needs experience in an MLD school. In my current role I have been responsible for leading KS2, SATs etc. I'm just a bit worried about spending too long in a middle school as this may limit careeer opportunities. Just wanted to know if primary schools would consider me for a leadership role? Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated!

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It sounds like you have plenty of relevant KS2 experience, so certainly a junior school shouldn't be too much of a leap. With a through primary a larger school might well be looking for an AHT/DHT to take a lead in KS2 in which case again you should be well placed.
    That said - I think you'd be mad to leave middle schools before you have to!

3. Agreed - they are very different - and loads better!!! (IMO)
    I have always regretted leaving mine, (just before their demise in that LEA in the 1980s)

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hello,
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I trained as a Secondary teacher and managed to secure a job in a middle school but wanted to teach in a Primary school so applied for jobs with ks2 responsibilities.
    If you have the appropriate skills and experience there is no reason why you wouldn't be considered. One of the things that may help is if you could make links with Primary, Infant or First schools in your area. I think something that went in my favour was that I took it upon myself to improve links with our feeder First school.
    I'm sure your experience as assistant head would stand you in good stead, it just depends on the balance of staff in the school and how you would fit into that structure.
    It maybe worth visiting schools with relevant jobs and asking whether your experience is relevant. Most heads would welcome questions up front I'm sure.
    Good luck,
    Carrie [​IMG]

5. Thanks very much for all your replies. I will take your advice!