1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Middle school position? Pros and cons

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kkimirwin, Apr 11, 2018.

1. kkimirwin

kkimirwin New commenter

Hello there
    I am Secondary Maths trained (taught KS3 and KS4 for 12 years) - have been out of teaching for 4 years and have just started gently easing myself back in via supply (which I am loving so far)
    I am looking for a permenant position for September and am considering applying for a Maths teacher post at a middle school.
    I like the idea as I have often thought about making the move to Primary.
    However, if I did get the job would it limit me to choices in the future as I won't be teaching GCSE.
    Furthermore, what is the future of middle schools? Is it likely to be a secure position.
    We don't have middle schools in my county so I don't know an awful lot about them.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Many thanks

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

I wouldn't think about middle schools per se - the key point is that you teach maths. Given that you have the experience, there is always going to be demand for someone in such a high profile subject.

If you can tutor in your spare time to keep your hand in with GCSE then that would help your options in future.

The best thing for you to do is apply if you like the school. With fewer applications to compete against the odds are likely to be in your favour to choose opportunities that are right for you.

kkimirwin likes this.
  3. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

There was a move to remove / reduce the number of middle schools years ago, Might limit future prospects, would I appoint someone to a secondary position with no recent KS4 experience - probably not.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Then a middle school post will be a great stepping stone.
    Yes, very much so. But it is unlikely that, once you find the joys of year 5 and 6, you'd want to swap back for years 9-11!
    Not at all secure as it is. BUT the employment will be secure in the sense you would be redeployed later when the middle school closes and the county becomes a two tier system. So you then make a choice to go back to secondary or in to primary.
    They are fab places to work. All the sense and organisation of a secondary, but with the fun and laughter of a primary.
    An excellent way in to primary.

kkimirwin and carriecat10 like this.
  5. kkimirwin

kkimirwin New commenter