1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Middle Leaders Training courses?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by drama_fairy, Jan 28, 2019.

1. drama_fairy

drama_fairy New commenter

Hi everyone, I have been a HoD for a while and I am looking to refresh and build on my current skills as a middle leader. My school are willing to help with any training and costs. So with this in mind, can anyone suggest any good courses to help with development of leadership skills etc?
    Thanks.

2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I find it really depends on who runs these courses, Some of them can be amazing and building experiences, others can be a bloke with a powerpoint. Talk with SLT, do they have anyone who they use in training Middle Leaders? Are there any capitation bids available for mentoring from other schools, talk to your head, he may know the answer to this question,

Sorry i can't be more helpful, but it's who's about in your area.

3. drama_fairy

drama_fairy New commenter

Hi, thank you for this. I will have a chat with SLT and see what they can suggest.

4. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

I’ve just completed Leading from the Middle from the ETF. It’s a somewhat condensed version of the programme of the same name that many HoDs did a number of years ago, but I found it very interesting and useful.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

5. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

You could look at completing the NPQML qualification which is targeted at middle leaders if there is one in your area.