1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Middle East

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sedberghteacher, May 30, 2019.

1. sedberghteacher

sedberghteacher New commenter

Hi All,

Just wondering what experience anyone has of working in the ME and particularly KSA. Been offered a post there and now looking at the nitty gritty re the offer. I'd like to know what salaries are like there (I know it depends on the school, but I'm hoping to get an overview from people's experience). The salary I've been offered seems low, and the package almost non existent.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

not worked there, or ever will. but have a friend that started there last year in the school linked to the university and she started on $93 000 take home, plus the usual international package. she is in one of the good schools there.

3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

A close friend works there but they are in one of the very few good schools there. Certainly on a very good wicket. NQTs in their school is on min £40k tax free.

One thing she says is, it's May and the least of your worries is the £€$ side. Best of luck.

towncryer likes this.
  4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Working in the ME is past its prime in terms of conditions and pay, just like China I have to say now. You may want to look at Asia, particularly Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos, Indonesia and Malaysia. In terms of culture, adventure and quality of life the ME is a desert and the financial rewards no longer compensate for the depravity you must endure. (except in the handful of schools that pay 100,000USD)

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, this smelly old hippo did a few years in the ME (KSA, Qatar, Egypt and the UAE). As february31st has pointed out, there are definitely some not-so-pleasant aspects to life in those parts. Generally speaking, schools in the ME seem to be trying to cut corners and this means lower salaries and poorer packages. In Qatar this is definitely the case, but I have the feeling that the same thing is happening elsewhere.

Having said that, the ME still gives many teachers an opportunity to build up their savings. Yes, the climate is pretty horrible for the summer months, but you will escape the worst of the heat the winters are lovely. You can always cheer yourself up by thinking of what you would have to put up with in the UK: grey skies, rain and Council Tax. Those who rave about Vietnam and other exotic locations is SE Asia might be forgetting why the ME is called the "Middle" East. It is a lot closer to Europe, so staying in contact with friends and family is a bit easier.

sedberghteacher likes this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

But the beer is cheap and Facebook is used to keep in contact with back home since the P&O steamships stopped sailing!

7. the hippo

Well, I have never travelled by P&O, so I will have to take your word for it.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I did KSA 5.3 years, Egypt, 3 years and Dubai 8 years.

KSA is only worth it if the package and salary are high. From your description, the offer you are getting is not either of these, so forget it.

KSA has challenges enough without having to receive poor remuneration.

As others have said, if one of your main motivators is to make good money (and don't be put off by those who say this is mercenary), then look elsewhere if you can't get a good school in KSA

9. the hippo

Yup, there are some dreadful schools in the KSA and it is not exactly the easiest of places in which to live. For once, I agree with some of the more mercenary posters on this forum. If you are not getting a good package, stay away from the Magic Kingdom.

10. sedberghteacher

sedberghteacher New commenter

Thanks for the responses.

Hard to say if the package is high as I have never worked in or even been to the KSA. It's a senior management role at a school in Jeddah, and unfortunately not one that has been reviewed on the ISR. Salary inclusive of gratuity is about 60K GBP...

11. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

Great conclusion. You've got to start somewhere. So all you can do is learn as you go and avoid becoming one of those reviewed on ISR... Best of luck.

12. dumbbells66

I have a friend working in KSA as an ordinary classroom teacher taking home over £73 000. Shes in a good school though. You have been offered a bad deal for a management position, i would avoid.

13. the hippo

Much though I respect dumbbells66's contributions to this discussion, I think that I must disagree. 73 grand a year is surely the exception, not the rule, and it is now very late in the "recruitment season". As james_1979 says, we all have to start somewhere. A great place to start in Jeddah is, of course, that fabulous Turkish restaurant by the Bicycle Roundabout.

14. dumbbells66

Dont get me wrong Hippo, she is in one of the top two schools in the country. My point was more that shes an ordinary classroom teacher that started on £13 000 more that the OP's school was offering a senior management position. If they are shorting senior management, what does that say about the overall quality of the school.

15. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 New commenter

because most schools don't offer a classroom teacher 73k perhaps. 60k is good anywhere for a management position.

16. dumbbells66

Swim away from the shallow end of the pool my friend. You will find a whole new world down my end of the pool ;)

17. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

without belittling this teacher (i'm sure she is great) but the sceptic in me tells me (knowing how some schools in the ME operate) she is a young blonde teacher....please please tell me this is not a case of positive discrimination and i am wrong? lol

18. dumbbells66

No, british indian decent in her 40's. Not all schools are created equally, there are a lot of very very good schools out there. There are also some shockers

teachtronic likes this.
  19. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

that' refreshing to hear, good for her!

20. dumbbells66

She is very experienced internationally

teachtronic likes this.