1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mid year joiners to the form

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Sharkut, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Sharkut

Sharkut New commenter

Hi there,

Just wanting some advice. In the space of 2 weeks I am having two mid year joiners to my tutor group. One is returning to the school after a failed managed move, and the other after being moved forms due to their behavioral issues.

My form are quite upset/ perturbed by these changes, and it has destabilized the tone of tutor time.

I'm really stuck for ideas of how to integrate the two new students while not losing the overall positive atmosphere I've worked hard to maintain, being sensitive to those who are upset about them joining, and still giving the two new starters the best chance to succeed.

Argh!

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

A programme of whole tutor group activities with switching teams will permit the pupils to become reacquainted and provide them all with relationship reboots.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I presume that either your tutor group is by far the nicest in the year, or they have the strongest set of teachers. It seems a little foolish to be moving two potentially difficult pupils into the same group. And if the others are reluctant to have them, are they going to end up teaming up as a pair?

I've no great ideas, I'm afraid. Year group?

(I once taught a lad from the other side of town, who had chosen this school to get well away from classmates who had bullied him at primary school. Then guess who appeared on a managed move, into the same class, but the ringleader... Unfortunately it's difficult to see how that could have been spotted in advance.)

4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As @frustum pointed out, to move two known trouble makers into the same group, where they can team up to cause havoc seems a very poor management decision, or you are being set to fail. Have you fewer students in your group than there are in the others?