1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mid-term planning - Reception Science

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lauly, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any words of advice. I am currently a PGCE student and I am finding things rather difficult. I have been told I have excellent classroom and behaviour management but I am falling down on a few key issues. I have been told I am not providing my reception class with enough skills to facilitate their learning. I have (I think!) cracked the mathematics, but I am struggling with a way about how to teach them the key skills in science. I hope this makes sense.

I am doing a topic of materials for a 5 week block, one lesson per week for five weeks. 30 Children, mixed ability R class in Wales, but a general good ability.

I just wanted to know if anyone has any planning they would wish to share with me to give me an idea of how to proceed. I have not been shown any mid-term/half-term planning by either my university of school so don't know what they are supposed to look like...and this combined with my .... lack of ability in the actual teaching of topics.... is making me very stressed and worked up.

Many thanks in advance,

Lauly

2. GrahamLawler

GrahamLawler New commenter

Not sure what the problem is, how about setting up a school trail where the children have to look for clues and say what qualities the object they find has eg a table with smooth things on them, a table with crinkly things. Let me know if you want more help than this cheers
    Graham

3. Hello Graham, sorry for taking so long to reply.

Thank you for your advice. I will try and explain what my mentor has been saying to me and where I am worried I will 'mess up'.

Although I am spending ages on my planning, apparently it is not good enough (this is all they tell me, they do not offer any advice as to how it is wrong). My main problem is that I am not identifying the learning objectives in my planning, and not translating this to the learnerss, therefore, my teaching is not technically teachign because they are not learning anything. I hope that makes sense - I am not, according to my mentor, teaching them anything. She has said I need to provide them with the tools (not necessarily physical) to undertake the task. I am now in hyper self-doubt mode and am feelign totally messed up.

It is hard for me to even workout myself where I need help - but I think it is pretty much in identifying the learning objective for my planning. I have been told I need to start at this point and then create activities around it. Thing is, I can't seem to think of secure enough LO's. I think I am being too broad and using a LO that would be appliciable for the whole of my mid-term plan and using it for a lesson.

So - for reception class - would you have, for one less, the learning objective to be 'identify smooth objects'. Or could I, in the intro, describe how plastic is hard and smooth etc and then ask the children to sort the plastic from the non-plastic.... and then repeat that for other materials.

I am sorry that this is so long a reply and I have taken a while to reply, as I said, I have been in a black pit of despair, writing off my career before it has even started! Thanks so much, though for your help and I look forward to any other advice you are able to give. Even if it is just for me to keep calm and carry on.

Lauly