1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mid Term Break (questions you regret asking)

Discussion in 'English' started by spatel, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Me (to my year 11's brain not in gear): So what's a 'hard blow'?
    Response: sniggering and general falling about laughing
    [​IMG] Is it just me who has these moments?

2. amylong

amylong New commenter

Hahaha!! That is so funny :) I think I recall one ortwo smirking at that phrase a couple of years ago when teaching that poem. I was once teaching about satirical writing to my year 8s, and thoughtlessly came out with the line of 'people doing bad things at the back of the bus', cue mass hysteria from mere 13 year olds...!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not just you. Let's say I've had a sheltered life. When at college I shared with with fellow students that my class had dissolved into laughter at my saying 'pricked my finger' & when teaching German 'mein Vater' that the classes had dissolved into sniggering & laughter & I didn't know why.they took me aside & gave me a 'lesson' on all those 'rude words' which had unbeknown to me a completely different set of meanings.
    My sons still have to 'update' me on current lingo now!

4. A friend of mine, upon first teaching a big, burly, difficult year 10 boy was asserting her expectations to him and said she would 'work him hard' in her class! He was very impressed with her choice of behaviour management technique!!!

5. Ha ha love it- and glad it's not just me. Suppose it shows we are being listened to...
    In complete innocence [​IMG] to a year 8 boy...' Are you playing with your mobile under your desk?'
    Class went crazy.

6. They are not innocent!

7. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

When I spot a boy using his phone under the desk, my comment is always: "There's only two things you might be doing with your hands under there, neither of which I want you to do in my classroom".
    Usually takes them a moment to work it out!
    Today with Year 7, last stave of Christmas Carol - "Scrooge had no further intercourse with ghosts" - they could barely contain themselves!

8. I'm a little more explicit with my students and phones: "There are only two reasons why both your hands are below the desk and one of them is that you are playing with your mobile telecommunications device." Amazing the number of the students who will 'admit' to the other!

9. Love those Victorians!
    You can confiscate their mobile phones...