1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mid Day Supervisor Jobs

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by February, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I am becoming redundant from my office job soon and would like to be a Mid Day Supervisor but I cannot seem to find any MDSA vacancies to apply for. I wrote to 3 local schools asking if they had any vacancies, 2 did not even bother replying back and the one that did said they had no vacancies but to apply to be added as relief staff and to ring a number and get a form, anyway got the form today in the post and it sounds so complicated got to get a headteacher from a school to sign it and then agree to interview you.
    I know when my son was younger his school were always wanting dinner ladies, but it seems not now but perhaps its my area where I live, Lincolnshire.
    Just wondered how anyone doing this job got their job and if they had any tips.
    Thanks

2. I am becoming redundant from my office job soon and would like to be a Mid Day Supervisor but I cannot seem to find any MDSA vacancies to apply for. I wrote to 3 local schools asking if they had any vacancies, 2 did not even bother replying back and the one that did said they had no vacancies but to apply to be added as relief staff and to ring a number and get a form, anyway got the form today in the post and it sounds so complicated got to get a headteacher from a school to sign it and then agree to interview you.
    I know when my son was younger his school were always wanting dinner ladies, but it seems not now but perhaps its my area where I live, Lincolnshire.
    Just wondered how anyone doing this job got their job and if they had any tips.
    Thanks

3. copycat

copycat Occasional commenter

These jobs are usually given to parents of children in school in my experience although you occasionally see them advertised.
    I was considering becoming one when I was made redundant but most of the advertised positions were in high school. Eventually there was a vacancy at my son's school and we all received a letter about it inviting parents to apply if interested.
    I suggest you phone the local schools you are interested in rather than writing and maybe they will put you on a waiting list if they do not have a vacancy.
    Good luck.

4. When I was an MDS, I was offered my job after being a parent volunteer in school.

However, all jobs now are advertised on the Local Authority website, and I know that the school often find it difficult to fill posts. Might be worth a look at your local government site.

5. Thanks, I just think its the area where I live, not many jobs around. I will keep looking and checking the websites.