1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microwave oven

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Nov 13, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

2. It depends onwhat you use a microwave for. We just tend to use it for basic defrosting and re-heating. So, the cheaper the better.

Sharp is as good as any I suppose.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I go along with what Bauble says, but the last microwave had a grill which was useful for grilling small things. That was a cheapo and lasted 11 years, I gave it away. still working and got one with a steam function.
    Look in supermarkets, they often have good deals.

4. I only ever use mine for 20 seconds to defrost bread!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We bought a cheap and cheerful TEsco one. Works OK. Found a new use for it yesterday when we sterilised the feeding bottle, dish and spoon for our grand daughter in it!

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

we have have a panasonic for 3 years. Has been excellent. It is a combination one and does excellent baked potatoes and was a godsend when our oven broke.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I had all the electrical items in my student rental property P.A.T certified in the summer. The engineer told me that the microwave with grill just passed but wouldn't a year later, based on microwave leakage. As it's not cost effective to renew seals etc, he told me to look out for special deals at Tesco and buy a replacement whenever I saw a bargain. Budget tesco electrical items were fine in his opinion. My students weren't inetersted in the grill function as there's one on the cooker so I've now bought a basic 750Watt microwave for about £27.
    I have a Panasonic at home but it's also a combination oven and an oven and I've had it for over 20 years with no problems whatsoever. I suppose that I should have the seals tested!

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

You may not have to, it may just have blown its internal fuse, which is easily replaced

10. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I have a Sharp microwave oven, although not the posh model in your link!
    I would highly recommend the brand. I mostly use it for heating the kids' bedtime milk,etc. We've had ours for years and it's never let us down.

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Just to add that John Lewis sell the same one for £188, so that's a pretty good price on Amazon [​IMG]

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's a mystery to me why anyone would buy such things from John Lewis since they are extortionately expensive for most things.

13. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Even more of a mystery then that their catchphrase is 'never knowingly undersold'! [​IMG]

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I believe that if you buy from them and subsequently find the same item cheaper somewhere else they will refund the difference. This used to be the case anyway. .

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think that some people are prepared to pay more at John Lewis's as they get a 5 year warranty 9or used to anyway). Can anyone confirm?

16. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we bought an oven from there and had seen it elsewhere much cheaper. a quick phone call while we waited and they gave the lower price.

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I've double-checked the dead microwave (a nearly-four year old Panasonic combination oven) and it really has expired. A new fuse makes no difference. Looks like I will need to get another.
    The thing I like about the one in the link, is its size - 40litres, when my current one is 27. Handy for defrosting big 'stuff' I reckon. I don't intend to use the other oven features really, but my proper cooker doesn't have a convenient grill, so it could be useful to have one on the microwave mebbee?
    The saga of the electrics has another chapter, btw. As I replaced the cover to the electric meter and circuit breakers (It's a wooden box thing that lifts off, not a cupboard) I accidentally knocked the immersion heater breaker switch to 'off'. Didn't find out until we noticed there was no hot water the next morning and thought there was something seriously wrong with house electrics. [​IMG]