1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microwave oven packed up- need advice on getting a new one

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slingshotsally, Sep 2, 2011.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi all,
    my microwave oven has packed up- it was a very basic model when I bought it and lasted me well over 6yrs. At the time it only cost me £40 (£39.99).
    However since then a lot has changed- mainly I have a young child, work and energy prices have since nearly doubled.
    There are a few questions I need to investigate and I know that others who use these forums will have considered them too.
    1. Is it more fuel efficient to use a combination microwave oven to cook a roast chicken then a fan assisted oven?
    2. Would it be more cost effective to buy a basic microwave oven (cheaper & Simpler engineering, less to go wrong) than a combination oven over (more expensive, complex engineering, a lot more to go wrong)
    3. Has anyone created a graph, spreadsheet or formula for calculating the graph yet?
    Thanks,
    BPG
    (serious questions- number 3 may not have get any answers- just wondered if someone has actually done this).

2. slingshotsally

Hi all,
    my microwave oven has packed up- it was a very basic model when I bought it and lasted me well over 6yrs. At the time it only cost me £40 (£39.99).
    However since then a lot has changed- mainly I have a young child, work and energy prices have since nearly doubled.
    There are a few questions I need to investigate and I know that others who use these forums will have considered them too.
    1. Is it more fuel efficient to use a combination microwave oven to cook a roast chicken then a fan assisted oven?
    2. Would it be more cost effective to buy a basic microwave oven (cheaper & Simpler engineering, less to go wrong) than a combination oven over (more expensive, complex engineering, a lot more to go wrong)
    3. Has anyone created a graph, spreadsheet or formula for calculating the graph yet?
    Thanks,
    BPG
    (serious questions- number 3 may not have get any answers- just wondered if someone has actually done this).

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'm in favour of cheap microwaves. I find the "brain" goes wrong in more complicated versions, meaning they die sooner"
    The more there is to go wrong, the sooner it happens in this house.

4. slingshotsally

I am inclined to agree with you!!
    The husband, however, has other ideas.
    I used to have an electricity bill (monthly direct debit) of £27, that was when I was single. Now I have a husband and baby in tow it has gradually increased to £70pm!! (it's only a one bedroom flat)
    So husband would like a combination oven to reduce overal costs of cooking in energy terms.
    BPG

5. I have another suggestion (which may not support your needs, but is still valid - and cheaper).

I used to use a microwave over all the time - for cooking baked potatoes, defrosting, cooking veg etc. However, 6 years ago I separated from my then partner. I left taking only my clothes and a TV etc. I left everything else in the house.

This meant that I had no microwave oven (the gadget I thought I could not live without). Since that time I have not owned or use a microwave oven. You know what? I have missed it so much, not. For the past 6 years i have cooked much nicer meals, with properly cooked (not overcooked) vegetables. I have have fresh succulent meals - rather than the poor apologies for meals I used have.

To top it all, my meals actually take the same amount of time to cook as they did when I used to use this so-called labour saving gadget.

I don't think I need a graph or formula to calculate my choice.

Happy shopping,

Garry