1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

microwave curd query for ljr...or anyone!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I followed the link you gave on the other thread for microwaveable lime-curd....and am planning on making a batch on Tuesday.
    The recipe says 'butter'....I'm making a shopping list for tomorrow, do I need unsalted butter or will the regular salted be ok? (My head says unsalted....but why doesn't the recipe specify it?)

2. I would go with unsalted butter beth. it's what I use when curd making.
    remind me nearer the time if you would like my blackberry curd recipe

3. ljr

ljr New commenter

I would tend to agree with the idea of unsalted butter - but the jar that won first prize in the competition was made using salted butter- I followed the recipe & it worked very well.

4. Oh! BLACKBERRY curd!
    I'm adding a task to my Outlook right now!!!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Thanks for the replies.
    My instinct says to go for unsalted. My driver is coming to take me shopping today - I'll leave things to fate....if the supermarket has unsalted, I'll get that; otherwise it'll be a pack of the salted.
    And blackberry curd sounds wonderful...yes I'm going to want that recipe! This is my first attempt at curd-making. It really looks simple!

6. What do you prefer Bethanie? I usually use salted and we have made it with margarine before now at school with the students. It's nice and quick in a lesson providing we stop them grating the oranges/lemons/limes. They carry on grating until we stop them ! Pith an' all.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have gone for unsalted....this time.
    If the recipe is as simple as it looks, I might try it with salted next time!
    Magarine?!!!!! No, best butter and free-range eggs!

8. I agree that making it in the microwave is amazing - am never going back to the other way! I know it's a bit early, but I think I know what a lot of people will be getting for Christmas this year [​IMG]