1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microteach

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by raymondorice, Nov 8, 2017.

1. raymondorice

raymondorice New commenter

Hi guys I’ve got to do a micro teach short 15to 30 Mins and I have chosen the subject how to hold a golf club as I like playing golf, I’m just a bit confused to what goes into a micro teach all suggestions welcome and thank you in advance

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Microteach?

I was taught how to hold a club in about 30 seconds flat.

3. raymondorice

I no but what if I also include how to putt and swing, with a little presentation, and show the students how to do it and get them to do it

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You may get a better response posting on one of the other forums (PE?) - this one is for Education News.

TCSC47 likes this.
  5. raymondorice

Ok thank you

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You still have not explained 'microteach'. Does it mean teaching a single, simple fact or skill?

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Micro teach. Is that the same as micro-manage? Will it have the same consequences?

8. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

It usually means designing and delivering a lesson in a short period of time (15mins seems to be about average). The idea is that you show you know how to put together a lesson with all the correct parts, and deliver it to a selected audience. Often used by companies recruiting trainers, so I would guess OP is doing it for a non-school interview process?

9. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

I believe that what you experienced was a picoteach.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well I was on a course...a golf course!

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Enough of this blazer!

12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I should have said Welcome to the forum, Ray, rather than messing about. I think microteach simply refers to a small 10 or 15 min lesson. It may have a precise meaning but I don't think it has. Just think of anything that you would want to get over to your group of pupils. How to hit a golf ball sounds like a good idea but I'm no expert on that particular skill. You could get a volunteer (don't embarrass any pupil) to follow your instructions but remember Health and safety. I once had a child hit another child on the head with a golf club swing! - Thankfully no harm done!! Have a written risk assessment!

If you want to get them outside for the demo, don't forget the time that will be taken for that. It would eat up at least half of your time, but your interviewers may be flexible. Can you get hold of a wee game with golf on it? If so make sure it is working before hand. Also do remember you will need a lesson plan.

You could contact the staff who will be observing you and ask them if your ideas would work with the group you will be given. I assume you are new to teaching? Schools actually prefer to be talked to in situations like this. It shows initiative on your part and that you are willing to listen to advice. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Hopefully your observers will have prepared your group ready and willing to work with you. Good luck and all the best.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM
  13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

One other thing, Ray. It is best to come on here anonymously in case you get caught up saying something you would regret! You could ask the moderators to change your user name.