1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microteach Family English, Maths and Language interview - Entry 3 to Level 2

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by clairey99, Aug 17, 2017.

1. clairey99

clairey99 New commenter

Hi there,

I have been a primary school class teacher for many years. However, I would like to move over to working with adults. I've got an interview next week for the position of Family Learning Tutor. It's asking me to deliver a microteach. I have to plan a 2 hour lesson but teach a 15 minute section of the planned section. I can teach English or Maths using a 'Day out' as the topic. The interview should be aimed at Entry 3 to Level 2.

I feel rather at a loss where to begin with this. Can anyone help ? I don't know what an Entry 3 to Level 2 would look like with an adult.

Can anyone point me in the direction of good online resources to help me plan a lesson, I really don't know where to start.

2. emsaj79

emsaj79 New commenter

Hi

Do you know what qualifications the students will be working to?

Although it's dated, the Adult Core Curriculum for Literacy and Numeracy is still a good starting point as it breaks down what students should do at each level and gives some example activities. Literacy one here - http://www.excellencegateway.org.uk/content/etf1286 You could also look at the Functional Skills standards to get some ideas. I can't remember if it's OCR or C&G but one or the other has exemplar past papers at these levels (for functional skills) so you can see what a student would need to be able to do to pass at each level.

Hope that helps

Emma

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  3. clairey99

clairey99 New commenter

Hi Emma

Thank you so much for your suggestions . They've helped to point me in a much better direction

Thank you

4. clairey99

clairey99 New commenter

I've not been told what qualifications the adults would be working towards.

5. emsaj79

emsaj79 New commenter

No probs. I would ring and ask. If you know the qual and exam board it might be easier to find relevant resources.

6. swiftblade09

swiftblade09 New commenter

I teach FS Maths, but work in a team with English teachers too.

E3 to Level 2 is a very wide range to have in one class. I've had it and can be hard. E3 students can be hard to keep with the class when you cover material for Level 1, let alone the level 2 stuff. For a micro teach lesson you can probably avoid the worst of this.

A majority of centres use Edexcel or City and Guilds:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualif...unctional-skills-qualifications#tab=documents

is a link to the correct bit of the city and guilds website - both English and Maths. Sample papers can be accessed without password so you can see the level.

Skills Workshop has a number of free functional skills resources, though I am very choosy about which I will use. I also have some of my own and adapt a lot of stuff from TES. (search "Skills workshop functional skills").

E3 maths: Most (upper) primary students you have taught would probably pass it. Adult E3 students probably missed a lot of school or had major challenges to learning. Need to decide when to add/subtract/multiply (rarely divide) and compute with a calculator. Half prices. Explain choices eg. "I would buy a ..... as it is cheaper than a ..." or following a table of votes - "we should go to .... as more of my friends chose that.")

L1 maths: Only brighter primary students would pass this without significant help. Not much content that wouldn't be seen in primary, but context may be unfamiliar. Has a little problem solving, some measure and scale, some stats (mean and range + bar charts). Simple Percentages (usually 10%, 20% or 50%) and fractions of amounts. It contains the basic maths useful regardless of job.

Level 2 Maths requires solving multi-step problems. More limited subject areas than GCSE, but WAY more depth and problem solving. It is (on paper) a GCSE (C or now 4) equivalent, and is sufficient to get into some universities.
    Little scaffolding, lots of information in the questions - tasks can be long with expectation of spending up to 20-30 minutes on one part of one problem for up to 25% of the mark for the paper. Any percentage, fraction, ratio, compound areas, mix of imperial/metric units. Use of given formulas, but no other algebra.