1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microsuction for blocked ears - is it safe and does it work?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by goneunderground, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Hello there - posting in agony [​IMG]

Having had worsening earache for 10 days I went to my surgery who said my left ear is so blocked they can't even see the eardrum and it needs (well both ears do )to be syringed. I must take ear drops for a week and then get them syringed. But I tried the surgery clinic and three other NHS treatment clinics nearby and nobody can give me an appointment before 5 August - apart from the daily pain, I am flying to France on the 25th and am worried about the pain on landing. Google told me a local optician's has an audiologist that does microsuction - it costs money but I am a bit desperate - could anyone recommend it? I wouldn't normally pay for treatment but I don't know if I can last out till 5th August, and two plane flights. Hopefully the drops might soften it a bit but I don't know if they will relieve the pain.

Thanks!

2. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

Hello goneunderground,

I had a similar experience about 5 years ago where one ear was completely blocked with wax and I had trapped water behind it. The pain was excruciating. At the time I had frequent trips to the doctors surgery and to the nurse to have it syringed which didn't work. My GP also prescribed very strong painkillers which I didn't want to take as I suspected I might be in the early stages of pregnancy. (I was!) In the end I arranged to travel over 40 miles to a private hearing clinic. It was the best money I have ever spent. Immediate relief. In essence it was just a little 'vacuum cleaner' that sucks out the wax. There was discomfort but not pain. The audiologist said to me that my ear canals are so small that syringing would never have worked. In the end I had both ears done and will probably go back as I think the wax build up does have an effect on my hearing.

I did have to inform my GP which is obviously a sensible precaution.

I hope you get it sorted.

Dodie102

3. Thankyou so much! Having woken up every hour with ear pain yet again last night, I read your message and it has given me the strength to get it sorted with microsuction. And hopefully then I won't have to keep asking my family to repeat what they just said :)

4. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

I hope it all goes well.

x Dodie

5. So far so good - last Tuesday I went and was very reassured and impressed (I even saw the inside of my ears on a monitor!) However, they could only get 2 thirds of the way into the ear canal as they said the last third was totally impacted (quote) "like a rock" so I would have to put ear drops in for a week and go back this coming Tuesday to have the final bit done. However, I am much encouraged because even getting two thirds of the wax out has relieved the pain significantly; I'm only needing to take painkillers once a day now instead of every few hours night and day, and my ear no longer has scorch marks from when the hotwater bottle was pressed against it for hours [​IMG] I am hoping this week's appointment will sort it completely. (Incidentally the audiologist said my ear canals are also very narrow which is partly why they might have got into this state.)

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just a 'by-the-by' a few years ago I went completely deaf in one ear with a build up of earwax. I had been putting ear drops in to soften it and (according to the GP) that combined with the hot weather exacerbated the problem; as the wax melted and then 'cooled' it was causing a 'complete seal' and causing the deafness, as it was impossible for the sound to vibrate. I have this problem every year in the warm weather.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

like many teachers from the age of chalk, I've been plagued with with repeated wax build-ups.

Last year I spent £75 on a brilliant same-day private treatment. I was worth it.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Did you know that chalk was a major cause of hearing loss due to wax build-up?

9. Earache is awful. I too have a problem with a build up of wax. Not as bad as yours but not good either. I hope you get the problem sorted soon.

10. Is that true that chalk was a major cause of hearing loss due to wax build up? Really? (Speaking as someone who started teaching in 1985 )