1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Word - help required please

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by resources4drama, Dec 10, 2010.

1. I wish to remove stage directions from a script. All stage directions are contained within brackets such as (leaves room). It's a long script so don't want to do it one by one.
    How do I do this? I assume it is something to do with find / replace and wild cards, but I don't know how to use them.
    Any help gratefully received.

2. Yes you need to use wildcards but there is a complication because round brackets have a special use when searching with wildcards. You will first need to replace all your brackets with a different character so follow these step:
    Press CTRL+H then in the Find box type
    (
    in the replace box type
    ##
    click Find Next and replace all the left-hand brackets
    Now repeat this for the right-hand brackets, i.e. find ) and replace with ##
    Now press CTRL+H again and in the Find box type
    ##*##
    and leave the Replace with box blank. Now click the More button at the bottom of the Find and Replace window and click to place a tick beside Use Wildcards.
    Click Find Next and you should be able to replace all the occurrences.
    Andrea
    www.allaboutitq.co

3. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Open up your script in Word, choose Edit > Replace
    Click on the "More" button at the bottom and tick the box for "use wildcards"
    In the "find what" box type in [(]*[)]
    Leave the "replace with" box empty
    Click Replace All.
    Hope this helps!

4. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

oooh, two competing solutions in the space of a minute, but which is best? Only one way to find out.... FIGHT!!! [​IMG]

5. Very good Gavcradd, a quicker solution than mine (though I don't know how easy your VBA Excel solution to the other post will be to follow)!
    Andrea
    www.allaboutitq.co

6. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Andrea, you and I should team up and charge for this sort of help! Some sort of IT consulting double act. We'd be millionaires by this time next year :)

7. Okay - a slight variation:
    I have a long document with many different phrases inside brackets. Is there a way to make everything inside brackets italicised using search and replace?

8. oc7

oc7

I wanted to do something similar to this but my solution was not very elegant so you might want to wait for a "Word guru" response before giving it a go ...
    Firstly, my document was an open office document so first you would need to open your document in open office and re-save. You can then extract the document to get at the content.xml file.
    Before extracting it is worth setting a few words in italics in the first paragraph.
    The few words in italics will look something like,
    <text:span text:style-name="T1">hello</text:span>
    (where hello is the italicised text)
    so you would need to replace all the left brackets with
    <text:span text:style-name="T1">(
    and the right bracket with
    )</text:span>
    save, compress and convert back to Word and all the text in brackets will be italicised.
    As I say not very elegant but if nothing better is suggested ...

9. For simplicity use the [(]*[)] expression in the Find what: box and click on the More button and tick the Use Wildcards box. Now click in the Replace with: box and leave it blank but click on the Format button that appears when you have clicked the More button. Click on the Font option under the Format button and set the font style to italic, when you click OK you should see the words Font: Italic under the Replace box. Your find and replace should now change everything in brackets to italics.

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I could follow this thread for weeks! many thanks to 2 of my favourite contributors

11. Worked a treat.
    Fantastic.
    Have a sticker.