1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microsoft office or google docs?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Corvuscorax20, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

I have a new lap top. I have been advised to buy and install microsoft office on it. I have been advised by just as many people to save my money and use google docs instead. I have been trying to use google docs. It seems extremely limiting, very very ungainly and non versatile.

For example, I can't download documents from resources in TES, and quickly flick though them then delete them or save bits. I have to download, convert to google docs, save, and then look.

But its free.

Shall I persevere with google docs, or is it as useless as it seems?

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

it is. Get Office.

3. averagedan

averagedan Established commenter

Office all the way baby.

Google Docs isn't really meant for heavy duty use. You may be able to get a free copy via your school depending on their licence.

agathamorse, strawbs, Pomza and 3 others like this.
  4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

google docs does have very good voice recognition

averagedan likes this.
  5. letap

letap Occasional commenter

6. TrueFaith

TrueFaith Occasional commenter

I like Open Office, which is another free office suite.

That said, Microsoft Office is very good, but it's also pretty expensive.

agathamorse and averagedan like this.
  7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Office. Without a question-
    Google Docs is free for a reason.....

8. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

Do you have an outlook account with work ? Chances are you can install Office on your computer for free

9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'm not very techy at all and tried Google Docs but just couldn't get on with it. Back to Office for me - I know it's quite expensive (mine has just come up for renewal, £59.99 per year) but it's worth it for me.

10. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

how would I go about that?

11. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I use both!
    My desktop is sufficiently old that a life time edition of office was installed when I bought it.
    I have to use googledocs for work.
    Obviously Word is widely used and seems intuitive.
    At first googledocs seems clunky. Everything's saved somewhere in the cloud, some of the controls are not intuitive (especially when you've become an intuitive MS user). There is no manual. Eventually, I got to a point of discovering that pretty much everything I did with Word to create a resource, I can do in Gdrive. In the last few months, shared docs have been a great way to tutor remotely.
    My biggest reservation is that when I leave my current workplace, I won't be able to copy all my resources onto a thumb drive and take them with me. There will be a laborious process of conversion to pdf, then copying. But I'll be about 65 then. I may not need them.

13. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe New commenter

I speculatively logged into the office 365 website with my school email address - it accepted this - the school IT department are unaware they have this facility so it wasn't advertised! It is very simple once you are registered. You also have access to considerable one drive cloud space (1000gb for my school). I downloaded the latest version of office onto my own personal laptop.

14. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

Google Drive is great as you can access anywhere and easily share documents with anyone who also uses google drive, docs also automatically save which is nice!!
    However Microsoft for me looks better and is easier to use

15. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Microsoft Office is available free for schools. Your own school should be able to provide you with a free code to download. Do not spend money.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/education/products/office

strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  16. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Google docs for me.

You can view without converting.

17. ridleyrumpus

And the vast majority of teachers or pupils do not do any "heavy duty" use.

Far from it.

18. ridleyrumpus

Something tells me you haven't used it as part of a suite like GSFE, it then comes into its own.

Google docs is so much more collaborative and the apps available are just great.

Besides all your students will have access to Google docs and not necessarily MS office.

19. ridleyrumpus

I have a pic somewhere if the school Google drive on my desktop, 1EB*

I don't think I am filling that any time soon.

*1 EB = 1,000,000,000 gigabytes (1 million terabytes)

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have had a chromebook for 4 years now. Google docs does most stuff I need. It is possible to get a free version of office online called microsoft onedrive. This will give you Word, Excel and Powerpoint albeit limited versions. It does enough for what I want unless I want a really wizzy PPt flying stuff in and out with music. Then I use Office 2007 on an old laptop running Vista that I bought 2nd hand off a kind old gentleman who posts on here.:p