1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microscale experiment survey

Discussion in 'Science' started by jimbailey, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hello

I am a science technician and also part-time student. I am currently writing a dissertation on microscale science in schools and wonder if you would be kind enough to complete this short 5 minute questionnaire please:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Y9QMWQK

It does not matter if you have never done any microscale work or indeed have never even heard of it - everyone's input would be very welcome. I have already received a lot of responses from other technicians but I would really like to get some teacher opinions too.

If anyone would like to pass this on to their science department colleagues too, please feel free to do so.

My email address is:

jim.bailey@surbitonhigh.com

Many thanks in advance!

Jim Bailey

Chemistry Technician

Surbiton High School

Surbiton Crescent KT1 2JT

2. Hello

I am a science technician and also part-time student. I am currently writing a dissertation on microscale science in schools and wonder if you would be kind enough to complete this short 5 minute questionnaire please:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Y9QMWQK

It does not matter if you have never done any microscale work or indeed have never even heard of it - everyone's input would be very welcome. I have already received a lot of responses from other technicians but I would really like to get some teacher opinions too.

If anyone would like to pass this on to their science department colleagues too, please feel free to do so.

My email address is:

jim.bailey@surbitonhigh.com

Many thanks in advance!

Jim Bailey

Chemistry Technician

Surbiton High School

Surbiton Crescent KT1 2JT

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Hi Jim,
    Hope the dissertation goes well.
    To amplify my views.
    I love the idea of microscale - the idea of reducing the impact of all those chemicals is great.
    I try hard to minimise quantities.
    The thing I have really, really not liked is the drips on the OHT film experiment. Everything goes well, you get the results. At the end of the practical they pick up the film, all the drips roll down and land on the bench leaving iodine and silver nitrate stains all over the place. I much prefer spotting tiles.
    I suppose my other reservation is that students seem to find it really difficult to work on a small scale.
    I've not tried microscale distillations or refluxes.
    Best wishes,
    P

4. Am buying into microscale at the moment - due to increasing numbers on AS courses in substandard facilities its the only way I can see to maintain practical work and safety at the same time.

I tend to go for combiwells rather than sheets for a similar reason to the previous post.

5. After seeing some microscale on a course, co-technician tried to introduce to teachers, but most decided it didn't have the 'real' science feel or enough 'wow!' factor - so never caught on.
    We also found it too fiddly for lower school darlings!

6. I see that CLEAPSS are
    putting up some microscale ideas up on their “you tube” channel. Go to http://www.youtube.com/user/CLEAPSS.
    I notice they hardly use that kit that is available.

Using video microscopes such
    as the Veho, increases the WOW factor. By the way OHT sheets went out long ago
    (can you still get them?). You place the instructions between the sheets of a
    plastic folder. To clear up place the paper towel over the top. You can always
    use a larger hardboard sheet to put the experiment on and yes, use the dropping tiles, because that is
    microscale as well.

Much of WOW factor is in the presentation
    skills of the presenter. If you go in and say ”Sorry I have been ordered that we have to do this experiment using this
    stupid microscale way. In my day we used beaker for this!”, then this will
    affect the attitude of the pupils. I always act the part of seeing the experiment
    for the first time.

You do not have to do every
    experiment this way, it just adds more variety. Also, looking at the forensic
    science programmes, that is all microscale. Chromatography is microscale. We oldies used to do semi-micro analysis in
    the sixth form using ignition tubes; that was microscale.