1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microphones for BTEC unit 9

Discussion in 'Music' started by cyberbell7, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi
    my music department are running the BTEC Music unit 9 from September and we need to get some new microphones. I have been recommended the following
    SM57 x2 (electric guitars or overhead for drums)
    Rode M3 x2 (accoustic instruments/choir)
    Audio technica 2020 (vocals)
    SM58 for vocals
    are these the best options to go for, we have a relatively limited budget so just need the necessary microphones to get us through the course nothing too fancy. any advice would be greatl appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

2. Hi
    my music department are running the BTEC Music unit 9 from September and we need to get some new microphones. I have been recommended the following
    SM57 x2 (electric guitars or overhead for drums)
    Rode M3 x2 (accoustic instruments/choir)
    Audio technica 2020 (vocals)
    SM58 for vocals
    are these the best options to go for, we have a relatively limited budget so just need the necessary microphones to get us through the course nothing too fancy. any advice would be greatl appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

3. For the Level 2 course I can comment, but if its Level 3 ignore me

For unit 9 you can get away with a collection of pG57 and 58s, they are the lower class of Sure microphones ,but do the job and will cost you £100 for a set of 4 rather than £80 for one Sm58.
    Whilst good, SM 57sand 58's need only to be used on A level type work.

You will need a pair of M3 or C1000s each will do the job.
    and a AKG D12 drum mic would be good if not essential
    I would advise getting as many microphones as you able to record and what you want to record. E.g Drums will take up the most with 4 mics. But if you are able to record onto 17 Macs, then 17 PG57s will be what you need

Never heard of the audio technica, but if you have the money an AkG 414 is a beauty (£400)

4. The sm57 is best used for electric guitar, bass guitar, top/bottom snare mic and kick drum. Not overheads, use your rode m3 for overheads, acoustic guitar, choir etc...

Rode m3 and sm58 can also be used for sax.

AT2020 is fine for vocals, acoustic guitar and okay for hihats.

For drum micing on a very limited budget:

Sm57 on top and bottom of snare (remember to invert phase on bottom when mixing)
    Rode m3 for overheads
    Sm58 for kick
    At2020 as a spot mic for cymbals that are not coming through (hihats for example)

5. I get paid to record metal & rock bands, acoustic instruments and ensembles, so don't hesitate to ask if you need any more advice :)

6. Yes, I would ditch an SM58 and buy another vocal capsule like your Audio Technica. Quite right, the m3's are the overhead mics (and I prefer the C1000's myself - I've used these a great deal).

7. The op needs a kick drum mic and might as well stick with the sm58 due to its tolerance for high spl.

The m3s are similar to the c1000s in design but I do prefer the m3s. A matched pair of rode nt5s would be even better or a matched pair of oktava mk012s that I use.

When recording metal albums I typically use these for drums:

Audix D6 for kick
    Audix i5 for top snare
    Shure sm57 for bottom snare
    Audix D2s and D4s for toms
    Modded matched pair of OKtava MK012s for overheads or 2 akg 414 xl iis
    Shure sm7b for hihat

Of course these will probably be beyond the op's budget and are for recording commercial quality albums.

(wish my phone would format better)