1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Microbiology in the lab

Discussion in 'Science' started by rhardwick20, Oct 29, 2015.

1. rhardwick20

rhardwick20 New commenter

Just wondering if anyone could help answer the following question; I have recently moved to a new school in Scotland and as part of the Senior 3 Science Course we brew beer in the lab which teachers then taste and make bread and cheese (in a home economics class) which pupils then eat. I feel uncomfortable with this but was wondering if it is in breach of any regulations. The department is very stubborn and unlikely to change unless there is clear evidence it should stop.

Any advice would be must appreciated.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

South of the Border I'd recommend contacting CLEAPSS - not sure if they operate beyond Hadrian's Wall. The other approach I would use is simply to carry out a Risk Assessment. I have brewed beer, and made yogurt, in Biology labs. Principal precaution was to use entirely separate glassware and utensils, plus use of disinfectant and so on beforehand; depends a bit on what substances you keep on open shelves or racks in the lab.