1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Micro teach - AS Lang - HELP!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sbhatti07, Oct 11, 2017.

1. sbhatti07

sbhatti07 New commenter

Hi all,

I am going for an interview next week for a new job at a sixth form up north. They want me to do a micro teach for AQA AS Level English Language on 'Using a short text of your choice, analyse how meanings are shaped and created.' 15 - 20 mins max.

I currently teach GCSE English and haven't taught AS Language for 4 years, it has changed since the last time I taught it. If anyone has any tips, advice or an easy text I could use, that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'll be brutally honest here, if you are unable to devise a 20 minute micro teach to support the interview process for a teaching post, then it's worth considering if it is really the post for you, as the job itself is going to entail far more than just a one off 20 min delivery of this sort of material and objective.
    Would you cope? Are you the best person for those students?

3. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

O.K. so you have taught AS before. Therefore you should have an old AS text lurking somewhere. You should be able to show how meanings are shaped and created in that text. This is basic AS stuff for the old and new spec. There may be stuff on the secure area of e-aqa. You may or may not be popular if you regurgitate it.
    If you can't cope with that use a high level GCSE text e.g Brighton Rock and concoct a Paper 4 Question 1 response. I would be looking for language, tone, maybe structure, writer's methods.
    Be aware that if you are accepted for the position you will have an awful lot of swotting up to do.