1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

micro:bits to Kids Next Week?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jerryjerryjerry, Mar 19, 2016.

1. jerryjerryjerry

jerryjerryjerry New commenter

Dear all,

The BBC are sending out the micro:bits to kids next week (in those schools who signed up).

My understanding these free ones are to be given to the kids straight away.

I've done the following resources:
    But there doesn't seem to be much else. Is anyone aware of more?

2. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

Not sure, but because we teachers have had no time to look at them, they'll be handed out to the kids when they arrive, who'll be told to take them home and use the website if they have any questions. I am pretty sure only a few students at this school will be able to get started using them; most will remain clueless without appropriate support, so the project is a complete waste of money. They'll be thousands on eBay within days.

I thought this whole thing would be a disaster when our teacher micro-bits arrived and I saw the "Quick start guide" - it was over 30 pages long!!!!! They were quickly put back in the box and deposited in the dark cupboard that rarely gets opened.

3. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

The teacher trial ones have been in the box they arrived in because I haven't had time to look at them. I had a class of four Year 10s in Computing this afternoon(the rest were out on a new prefect trip thing) and our micro:bits arrived 1 hour before the double lesson! I'd been wondering what to do with the students: problem solved. The micro:bits worked brilliantly - I was expecting a load of technical hitches - and the students just got on with it, accessing the website and working through it without any input really. One of the Year 10s asked if he could have the one he'd been using - quote "if I got to keep it I'd just spend every day after school in homework club coding it". This isn't the sort of student who'd usually say that!

I know this comes across as Smug Keeno Teacher but in this case I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm still dubious about how/when to distribute them and think I'll wait until September so I can hear of any teething issues that everyone else gets...

4. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Just read the initial post - the Year 10s had asked me if they'd be using them with the rest of the class and I was a bit hesitant because they've been working on Python and I don't really want to mess about with other software at this stage. The Python resources for the micro:bit are really lacking so I appreciate the links you've shared here.

5. jerryjerryjerry

jerryjerryjerry New commenter

@tjra: Wow. That's awesome. Did the kid take it home? The python resources are lacking (which no one's fault). I'm working on some resources for teachers in my spare time (and I have a lovely, long half-term!).

And I agree with you on python: the fact is runs python makes it so useful. It's far better to blink LEDs than move a turtle around!

6. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Resources seem a bit hit and miss on the main web site, which if you think that this has been delayed by 6 months is very annoying. I'd have liked to have had a task sheet for each project with basic instructions / explanation. what we get is a variety of methods of display some useful, others confusing. It might also have been nice to have been more involved. Has anyone here been involved with the beta project? Don't think so!
    I WAS really disillusioned by this. HOWEVER, I had the teacher micro:bit, and bar the resources issue, it really is a cracking piece of kit (mind you, still think giving every kid a Raspberry PI with a suitable distro might have been more effective).

7. robyn_banned_again

robyn_banned_again New commenter

The Arduino has been around for ages. You can use Scratch or a version of C to "Blink LEDs" and do a lot lot more. Physical electronics is great fun.

8. theyesman

theyesman New commenter

Dear all,

The BBC are sending out the micro:bits to kids next week (in those schools who signed up).

My understanding these free ones are to be given to the kids straight away.

I've done the following resources:
    But there doesn't seem to be much else. Is anyone aware of more?

Nice little resource jerry

Thanks

9. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Believe it when I see it!

Had an email last week saying we'd get them by the end of week - surprise, surprise they no-showed. I am really, REALLY getting fed up with this.

This is another example of an ICT project that hasn't been managed at all well. The idea is brilliant but it would be interesting to see how much they cost and compare to a Raspberry Pi, where you could do all the programming without needing a computer to do the actual coding bit. Especially as the micro:bit was a new piece of kit, with all the issues of prototyping and up-scaling production to provide EVERY year7 kid with one; and what about subsequent years?

It all merely points to this being some 'fad' approach to help with charter re-newal rather than a prolonged approach to help improve coding skills.

10. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

Is that project still going? I thought it had been ditched ages ago?

It is really poor, isn't it. Total spin. A waste of time. Promises made and broken. Timetables made and broken. Poor communication. No communication. Pointless in the extreme. An omnishambles. Why is it so difficult to project manage this and give schools accurate information? I bet it won't be long before someone leaks the tens of millions that have been spent on this, going mainly to third part companies with links to someone somewhere in the BBC, consultants paid well over the odds for services unknown and not a hint of tendering or transparency.

Our school gave up and lost interest months ago.

11. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

I'd like to completely disagree with the last two posts......unfortunately I can't.