1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Micro:bit - The Quick Start Guide for Teachers Preview Version

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by BBCMicrobitOfficial, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Hello everyone. At the launch of the micro:bit, we released a hard copy of the Quick Start Guide for Teachers. The book is still in preview form - some of the artwork will need updating when the site is finished and so forth, but it is representative of the micro:bit workflow and functionality. Please have a look here:

http://www.slideshare.net/Microsofteduk/bbc-microbit-guide-from-hodder-education

You can download the PDF from there. Please bear in mind it is a preview version, subject to some summer amendments.

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

You can only download if you sign up to slide-share. Thanks but no thanks

3. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

I won't be having anything to do with this now or in the future. Why is the guide for teachers? We don't have the things to play with and besides, the BBC has been saying this isn't for teachers but to be given out to pupils for them to experiment with. I have enough work to do in my job in school without having yet another untried, untested, unresearched initiative dumped on me by yet another organisation, who think that they have invented the saviour to computing. There has been no wide consultation with teachers and schools, no trials, no assessment of needs, no giving out the devices in advance to teachers so they can get a head start, bucket loads of misinformation etc etc etc etc etc.

This should be taught as a classic case study of how not to launch a new gizmo.

4. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

...and, as I've said far too many times before, this sort of device has much better "fit" with the D&T and similar STEM areas so perhaps so you should also direct your news in that direction.

A recent scientific survey of D&T staff ( I asked couple of mates down the pub) showed that 100% of them had never heard of this device or the initiative behind it