1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mickey Mouse Education

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SMT dude, Nov 29, 2011.

1. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

I've been told by more than one veteran of China and Japan that Disney is taken perfectly seriously in both countries, as a representative and significant product of mainstream Western culture, so that 'Disney English' will sound no weirder than Darrow School or Bulwich College.
    And perhaps they are right - another person to come over all solemn about Walt, was the Argentine-Chilean (and now comfortably tenured in the USA) fatuous leftist intellectual Ariel Dorfman, who wrote (1972) Para Leer al Pato Donald: Comunicación de Masa y Colonialismo.
    Or as we say in Shanghai, How to read Donald Duck: Mass Communication and Colonialism.
    Lovely, typical blend of condescension and obfuscation in the title. Fair takes me back, with a tear in the leathery old eye, to my Uni and teacher-training days.Où sont les intellectuels marxisants d'antan? as they lament in Tokyo.
    Of course back in '72 many other leftist Chileans were putting their necks on the line to oppose the newly installed Pinochet gang. Even at my Alma mater the Collegiate University of Nempnett Thrubwell, the student union was setting the world on fire by passing resolutions denouncing the old boy in the grey uniform.
    Dorfman's contribution was to warn young people of the corrupting influence of Mickey Mouse.
    Well, they also serve who only sit and write...

2. They're cartoons!