1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Michel Roux Jnr

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Dec 9, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've just watched his Masterclass on BBC2, what a delight he is to watch, he's so enthusiastic and loves what he's doing. I really enjoyed watching him.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've just watched his Masterclass on BBC2, what a delight he is to watch, he's so enthusiastic and loves what he's doing. I really enjoyed watching him.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

He and Gregg have been hilarious this series. They've hammed up the enthusiasm no end. I've been in fits of giggles. "It was deeeeelicious. Deeeeeeelicious!"
    I do like Roux Jr though. I might even have a man-crush on him [​IMG].

*Nick goes and does something manly, like chopping a load of wood or fighting a lion*

Seriously though - we've decided we're going to eat at Le Gavroche for an anniversary or similar sometime. A friend went recently and he was there and made a point of talking to every table. He is a perfectionist and a comsummate professional.
    I do like the way he takes criticism very seriously when evaluating dishes, yet reassures and praises when the chefs wobble a bit.

4. Blast. Missed that. [​IMG]
    He is elegance personified.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

he is very good, and I started to watch this tonight

but then realised who of us every day cooks are doing to be able to do this, hell 3 days for a stuffed duck?

celeb cooking is going to far.

While I likes MR Jr and would happily have a pint with the guy, some things are just too far for your home cook working '9-5'

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I don't think that's the point of the programme, grandelf. I think it's a case of watching a master doing it, more than inspiring home cooks to do the recipes. There will be a few who do; more who take a few tips and do their own versions, cutting a few corners (I fall into this bracket) and more still who have no intention of doing it but will enjoy watching the skill, precision and effort that goes into making a 2 Michelin Star meal.
    It's good in that it demystifies it all a little. It shows that you could make this food if you want to, but it takes a hell of a lot of effort, which is why you pay a small fortune to eat in such restaurants.
    I wouldn't class him as a celeb chef anyway. He's an excellent chef. one of the best in the country, who has risen through his own talents and enthusiasm (helped a little by his illustrious father and uncle perhaps - although he is classically trained as well, in France), who happens to have been exposed to the media as of late through this programme.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

If he is called a celebrity chef, he is one of the very few who deserve that title having achieved it through their cooking.
    Whilst I have had the training to do the dishes he did, I have no time, space or reason to do them (or CBA) except for the Gateau St Honoré, a slight difference to the one I have made before but it's something I would make at home.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I watched this and loved it!
    It wasn't so much the food - some of the recipes I'd have yummed down, some didn't appeal. It was his love of food and enthusiasm that just radiated through the screen.
    There was no ego in MRJ's cooking. No showing off just how excellent a chef he is. It was just someone with great skill and passion for food sharing ot with those watching.
    The programme left me with a big smile on my face.

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Sorry my mini rant last night wasn't aimed at MR Jr, just the current trend for TV cook to out do each other. A lot of what is being shown on TV simply isn't do able, cost/time/equipment (frozen nitrogen ice cream anyone?)/space.

MR is fab, as is seems to love food and wants others to see how good it is without an ego. He knows he is good but doesn't show off it that makes sense.

I'll get off my soap box and go away now :)

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, his delight is in the food and the quality of it, I loved the way he was smiling and so happy prepping the food. It showed how much of a passion food is for him, I could watch him every night!
    For those that missed it and watch to share the sheer enjoyment of watching a true masterchef, BBC iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0183l87/MasterChef_The_Professionals_Michels_Classics_Michels_Classics/

11. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I knew it!!!
    We're saving up to go for our anniversary next year.

12. anteater

anteater New commenter

Thanks for the link, lapin. I have just watched this (should have been marking Y11s mock papers!)
    I was wondering how he manages to stay so lean, what with all that butter and cream, but then I remembered the Observer article about him a couple of weeks ago, where he admitted that running is his only addiction. I wish it was mine...

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've just been inspired to Google Le Gavroche. Mr BS and I have agreed to go as a joint birthday treat in 2012. I want to try that 8 course tasting menu [​IMG]
    I didn't see this programme but I love seeing him on Masterchef. He maintains his high standards without shouting and jack-booting about.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You can get it on the BBC iplayer, link on previous page.

15. I adore Michel. He loves what he does and there's not a hint of arrogance about him. He comes across brilliantly on MasterChef and I really enjoyed the 'Michel's Classics' TV programme the other night.