1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Michaela

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Aug 23, 2019.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

2. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

For people who just want to discuss Michaela without paying for The Times, from The Telegraph article on the matter:

"At Michaela school in Brent, North London, 18 per cent of exams were graded a 9, compared to 4.5 per cent nationwide. 54 per cent of all exams were graded a 7-9, which is an A or A* under the old system."

[...]

""If a school is too permissive, allowing too many exceptions, it risks creating helplessness, selfishness or dependence in its pupils rather than responsibility, consideration and agency. If a school reduces its standards for poorer pupils because of their poverty or difficult home life, it does them a disservice; frankly, it doesn’t believe in them enough." "

[...]

"The school has a number of unusual rules, including silence in the corridor and it has a strict "no excuses" policy where pupils are given detention for coming to school one minute late.

They are also penalised for not completing homework or if the work is scruffy, for not having the correct stationery , or for tutting, rolling eyes, or "persistently turning around in class"."​

Catgirl1964 and 01ade like this.
  3. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I think it is brilliant. Put Katharine Biralsingh in charge of OFSTED.

Doug1943, lanokia, katykook and 3 others like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If, heaven forbid, I ever find myself having to go back to state secondary teaching, I'd want to teach in a similar kind of school.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well done to them. Those youngsters will have better immediate prospects.
    There are things we can learn. I am not going to make the assumptions that were made on another thread about selectivity of entry as I know little of what really goes on there.

Doug1943, 01ade, lanokia and 3 others like this.
  6. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Strict discipline works..... Students aren't allowed to disrupt lessons so the bottom sets don't turn into sink groups. It's worrying that this is news.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

We could all do this.

But who would teach the other half of the country?

Jamvic, chelsea2, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  8. Scintillant

Not assumptions. The head has said the same herself. There are no magic fixes in teaching.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Quite

What did she say?

Mrsmumbles and Jamvic like this.
  10. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Michaela has a rather bad catchment area, they exclude very few pupils. No evidence which isn't anecdotal has been found of off-rolling. Please do share it if you have it.

11. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

I am genuinely puzzled by your post. Can you clarify?

Are you saying this school only accepts the top 50 per cent based on IQ?

Are you saying that only 50 per cent of English secondary school pupils are capable of behaving as though they were school pupils in a civilised society ?

Doug1943 likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Which of course means it's not happening.

Where would we find documented evidence of parents being dissuaded from applying?

JL48 and Jamvic like this.
  13. Scintillant

No. I am saying that if schools are only taking pupils who are easy to teach, there will be lots of pupils without schools. This is already happening in many places.

14. Scintillant

The school doesn't exclude, parents opt out.

I could refuse to teach pupils who don't sit in silence, That's easy.

As Birbalsingh explains, maybe Michaela isn’t right for every child. Maybe some children would be happier elsewhere. She calls herself ‘The Dragon Lady’ and makes it clear to parents that being at Michaela means following the rules. There are no exceptions. But there’s no shortage of other schools for disgruntled parents to send their children.

Jamvic, JL48 and agathamorse like this.
  15. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

I could refuse to teach pupils who don't sit in silence, That's easy.

She ..makes it clear to parents that being at Michaela means following the rules.

i) At that rate things certainly have changed an awful lot.

During my decades of service (sic) "refusing to teach pupils" was treated as breach of contract and so as grounds for dismissal.

So some things have improved considerably it seems!

ii) You seem to be against pupils sticking to the rules.

Or have I misunderstood?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  16. Scintillant

We can insist that pupils follow stringent rules, and if they don't, then we won't teach them

If we all do that, they system will collapse.

I am all for pupils and adults sticking to the rules. They don't though. And we can't only deal with those we want to deal with. It's why when her deputy took over a school in Norfolk, they, er, "lost" a huge number of pupils very quickly, which other professionals then have to teach

JL48, Jamvic and chelsea2 like this.
  17. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Brilliant! It really is that simple. Why have other heads not thought of this?

Jamvic likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Give it a couple of weeks and there will be a daily dose of news stories of disgruntled parents objecting that their darling has been sent home for not following the clearly set out rules around appearance/conduct/equipment/etc.

If every school adopted a 'no excuses' approach, then parents wouldn't be able to sent their darling to a school who lets kids follow rules or not as they wish.

Doug1943 and agathamorse like this.
  19. Scintillant

Everyone has. We can't do it though as the system would fall apart. Obviously.

20. Scintillant

It's a miracle that some of the children I've taught in recent years even make it into school, such is their home life. Have a look at the evidence from America where "No Excuses" has been used for many years. It doesn't work and is often even counterproductive.