1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Michaela School - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Godmeister, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

I know threads have been posted about this place before, but I was just wondering what people thought about some of the things you can read about the place.

I regularly check https://hackingattheroots.wordpress.com/ which is written by their French teacher. He always talks about the kids being in silence, eyes front, not talking to each other, etc. I just don't like the sound of the place to be honest. It sounds like a military boot camp.

Kids get demerits if they utter a word to each other, at lunchtimes they have to discuss agreed topics and sit in a seating plan, and it's all didactic teaching according to that blog.

What do others think? Anyone have any direct experience in the school itself?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They sound fantastic but as far as I can see they prevent any kids that may ve difficult from getting in and then get rid of any awkward ones who do manage to get in. So what is left is a compliant bunch of automatons. have a school like this by all means but don't hold it up as an example of how all schools can be when the other schools are having to cope with the dysfunctional families and the kids with SEN.

JL48 and Owen134866 like this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It sounds like a nasty way to treat children.

welshwales likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Middlemarch likes this.
  5. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Sounds pretty abnormal to me

Deirds likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I have just looked at the link and read four blogs.

All the same, really. Promotion of the school. I have no plans to read any more.

The author seems like a brown-noser to me!

7. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

I have met Mr Smith and he is an excellent teacher. However, I am also of the mind that kids are kids, they will chatter, they will try it on sometimes and I don't mind a bit of talk. I insist on silence when I am talking and during tests. I get nervous if they are all too quiet at other times!

-myrtille- likes this.
  8. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

This is my opinion about silence/talking too. A classroom doesn't need to be totally silent to be productive.

Middlemarch likes this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think they place great value in their methodology without realising that a different intake would give very different results.

I couldn't work there. No freedom. Which is ironic since I'm supposedly shackled by the demands of my LA.

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Hmmm. Seems decidedly Stepford Children to me.

11. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I think as usual it's a reaction that's gone too far.

Some schools have an obsession with pupils doing group work, reducing teacher talk, etc. to a nonsensical extent. So Michaela has gone the opposite way - no group work, all teacher talk. In reality, both can be appropriate at different times. Personally I tend towards more teacher talk (broken up with lots of questioning to make sure pupils are actually paying attention) and use group work quite infrequently (though pair work a fair bit). So I do sympathise with the Michaela point of view on this, just think it's gone too far.

Most pupils (and some schools/teachers) don't have high enough expectations of behaviour. Most pupils should be perfectly capable of lining up in silence for a lesson, and being silent when the teacher or another pupil is talking, during the register, or when doing a test. Some teachers don't enforce this because it isn't always easy. But Michaela has gone to the extreme of insisting on the silence almost all the time, rather than at specific key points.

I can understand their aims, and don't think demanding these standards means they hate children or anything. I just think they go a bit too far and like other posters, would find it creepy if pupils walked around the corridors in silence.

Godmeister likes this.
  12. Skeptical_John

Skeptical_John New commenter

I think as a student I would've preferred it to my school which had awful behavior and little to zero aspiration. As a teacher, well the dozen or so bloggers seem to love their job there...

If they high exclusion rates then they should get a penalty for that (I think it's one of the changes in the whitepaper?)

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed - that great myth peddled by this government to justify their privatisation of education. Scandalous.

14. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Surely there is some middle ground?You can have aspiration and good behaviour without treating kids like robots. In fact, I would say giving kids a bit of respect and allowing some individuality is key to creating good behaviour.

welshwales and Middlemarch like this.
  15. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

After reading the blogs.

I had to get my AS Neill book out as an antidote.

SSS

JL48 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  16. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Lining up straight and quietly and being quiet when the teacher is talking is great and absolutely the right thing. Going on a trip in quiet, straight lines, not talking and not engaging with each other is, in my opinion, not. I'd be bored as a teacher if it were all me standing there and talking and I'd have been bored as a child.

Godmeister likes this.