1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Michael Rosen's thoughts on how to wreck recruitment and retention

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, Oct 11, 2015.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have looked around and cannot see anyone else mentioning this. I really feel it needs to be broadcast far and wide!

Michael Rosen writes......
    "On the Guardian thread about teacher shortages and how they could possibly have come about, I posted some government policies to keep teaching recruitment and retention down:

1. Encourage the press to run stories saying that teachers are lazy and that there are thousands of bad ones.
    2. Get the head of Ofsted to say the same.
    3. Keep this up for decades. (both main parties)
    4. Bring in hundreds of measuring and assessment systems, levels, targets, tests, exams, which then breed more 'rehearsal' tests and exams.
    5. Bring in a punitive, rapid, unsupportive inspection system which ignores the fact that scores are attached to children so that if you're in a school where there has been turnover the inspectorate say that has nothing to do with us.
    6. Run a new kind of school where the salaries of management are not open to public scrutiny.
    7. Allow interest groups to open schools which take on proportionally fewer SEN, EAL and FSM pupils than nearby LA schools.
    8 Allow covert selection and exclusion process to take place around these new kinds of schools because the LA schools have to pick up the pieces.
    9. Use international data as if it is holy writ and ignore evidence that suggests that comparing countries does not compare like with like, that some countries which are 'top' are selecting. Obscure the differences between the countries by only talking about 'places' in the table, without ever making clear whether these differences are 'significant' or not.
    10. Use China as an example of utopia in education without making a comparison between the two societies - as if education exists separately from the societies that produce the respective education systems.
    11. Make sure that very nearly all the people running the state education system from government have no, or very little, state education experience themselves."

I know Theo has a score of 50+ on this forum in recent weeks announcing their leaving teaching.... seems she is 40,000 light ......

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Love it... seems to sum up the last two decades ever since Blair moronically banged on 'education education education'.

FolkFan likes this.
  3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Teachers being sought overseas, I see. That's going to help DM readers with their immigration apoplexy, innit?

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My issue... and I'm not disputing what has been said... is what is the purpose of doing this?

On the one hand I can imagine it is just random idiotic chance, a series of events that have happened to cause a perfect storm.

On the other, is there some larger motivation? Why has this been done? Why take a reasonably good system [I can't in all good faith call it perfect] and destroy it?

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

@lanokia Politicians need to be seen to be doing something so policies are enacted without proper thought of the impact upon teachers, schools or young people.
    Politicians generally come from selective school environments - even those from state schools were streamed and set - and so think everyone is as competent at learning as those selected groupings. This means they don't realise that "more effort" will not always lead to educational success.
    By devolving control of educational budgets they can dodge blame when things go **** up and avoid having to pay to sort it out.
    They genuinely think all parents care about education and have the time and ability to successfully intervene in their children's education.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

All good points @Flere-Imsaho

Indeed, education may have suffered because of privatisation elsewhere.

So the governments of the 80s privatised lots of government actions but didn't reciprocate with a decrease in the size of government. Suddenly that meant you had lots of underemployed government ministers wandering around. Only with fewer sections of government to interfere with [in a Saville sort of way].

So health, defence, education and the judicial system [plus the constitution] became the new playthings.

And look at how much they ****** them up.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Good points well made.
    I think devolving budgets is a crude attempt to dodge blame but most people are well aware of the fact that money for education and control of education emanates from Westminster,

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

privatisation.
    make people moan about the state provision. cut resources and budgets so the job can't be done properly. make people moan more that something must be done. introduce alternatives. privatise.
    same sort of thing's happening in the NHS. and did, to Royal Mail. BBC being targeted too.

lexus300 likes this.
  9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Of course state education also represented one of the last few large employers. Rid yourselves of those and trades unions have no power; working people have no power because by having isolated school staff they are lacking in power. Hence the fear that now presides in state schools where teachers are too fearful to stand up to the tactics being employed.
    Never has "divide and rule" worked so well.

ilovesooty likes this.
  10. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

We don't really need a well educated population any more. Many of our jobs are unskilled, low wage jobs. We can bring in doctors, nurses, teachers from abroad when needed and they'll probably be cheaper.
    And of course, talking down the education system, making people believe it's failing, (making it fail) means there'll be less objection to privatisation when it comes.

11. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Ahh. The tripartite rhetorical structure...

lanokia likes this.
  12. Flere-Imsaho

When it comes?

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Not much I can disagree with on this thread, I'd like to think it's a case of:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Lots and lots of short term decisions made by short termist politicians looking to the next election or promotion. Lanokia makes a good point, too many chiefs with not enough to do all trying to meddle and show they have done something. The model has expanded downwards to smt's in schools where the same system prevails.

14. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I notice Rosen doesn't actually say what he wants, only what he doesn't. Odd!?

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Seems pretty straightforward to me, positive retention and recruitment by doing the opposite of what is in the list.

16. Flere-Imsaho

He does write extensively on what he does want but I think the list is written in such a way as to to make it clear even if that was all you had read.

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

QUOTE="Eureka!, post: 11462483, member: 129788"]I notice Rosen doesn't actually say what he wants, only what he doesn't. Odd!?[/QUOTE]I suspect if all his points were reversed, we'd get a bit closer to what he, and many in education, want....