1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Michael Gove attacks governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Ed Dorrell, Jul 12, 2012.

1. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

There are a small minority of governors who are in it for the badge, but Gove is so out of touch on this one and has done himself no favours with Governors. Perhaps he should spend some time at governor association meetings, and value the 300,000 volunteers with more respect.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't think anyone should be surprised after they've got over feeling justifiably aggrieved and insulted - Gove's plan is to force all schools to become academies and then allow private, profit-making 'governing bodies' to run them. Those governing bodies who have already taken the shilling on this one and allowed the conversion of their schools to academy status have simply started the process of their own destruction.
    He's merely lining up his ducks ready to shoot them down.

3. staxis

staxis New commenter

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>I find it ironic that all of the criticisms
    levelled at governors could equally be levelled at MPs. In fact, MPs would be
    far more worthy of these criticisms.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I'm happy to share some of the 'guilt' being handed out to my teaching colleagues.

5. It's Gove's first shot at getting rid of local governors and appointing them from a central register of Tory lackeys and jobsworths. He is gauging the opposition.

6. An interesting article on Governors by Michael Gove. I for one, am glad that the current situation is being looked into. It certainly supports the findings in my Masters Dissertation e.g. - 'If management
    practice had been challenged by the governors, and the evidence suggests they
    were fully aware of it, ethical human resource practice could have been ensured
    and changes effectively implemented with no additional costs incurred, costs
    that may ultimately reduce the level and quality of their provision.'

7. Couldn't agree more!

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

It's interesting the way this thread has been edited ...

9. What on earth are you talking about here? Out of context this makes no sense whatsoever.

I am disgusted by Gove's comments - as Chair of Governors in my "spare" time I have been involved in a constant fight to save an outstanding school and early year's provision simply because wet squibs like him are so totally out of touch with what adds quality within communities!! How dare he suggest that we are in this for the glory .... he is simply judging us by his own self-centred narrow standards!

10. Having been a governor and given countless hours to the school for little more benefit than a warm fuzzy feeling inside, I think Mr Gove may well find that if he is to snotty to governors they will tell him where to stick his "prestigious" job!

11. Why do we British get so upset when people try to improve things; we take everything so personally. If the cap fits, wear it, otherwise don?t.

I?m sure Mr Gove has a broader understanding of the issues than I, and as I have previously served as a secondary school governor for a number of years I have little doubt that he has a point ? about some governors (but then he could have been speaking about councillors, MPs, members of the House of Lords and etc.) By jumping on the bandwagon of criticism of Gove there seems to be implication that having self interest whilst performing a role appears to preclude doing an excellent job. On the contrary, I have found over the years that the more one gets out of any job the more one tends to put into it ? enjoyment being key ? and if peer status is enhanced, then what a bonus. In fact I?d go as far as to say that being a governor should rightly enhance the status of every individual willing to give up time and effort in support of our country?s future, whether sought or not. It certainly enhances their status in my eyes!

The real issue is whether his comments ?local worthies? who ?ramble on about peripheral issues? et al strikes a chord; if it does, beware, you need to up your game, and if it doesn?t, then just carry on doing the great job you do ? he wasn?t getting at you! Although you may be unlikely to get thanked too often, you?ll still feel good!
    Enjoy

12. Whist I'm am sure there are excellent governors out there and I give you every credit to you for doing a difficult job with little thanks. Sadly Mr. Gove has summed up the governing body of my school perfectly.

13. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

Spot Middlemarch @ no. 3
    Maybe the governers that'll come in for most critism from Gove on this topic will be the ones that have opposed academy status for their schools.

14. Belthazor

Belthazor New commenter

Spot on*
    criticism**

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Are you? I'm not and he certainly knows a lot less than me. Gove is a career politician whose chief aim is to further his political career. On the way, he's determined to open up state education to profit-making. He's not the least interested in how to improve schools, and his regular statements about how his measure of success is how many schools become academies and how many free schools he allows to be opened proves it.

16. Too right Liz! Gove needs to realise that Governors do their job VOLUNTARILY with litle training and no support. If Gove wants governors do their job better he needs to train and pay them, My husband was a governor and worked really, really hard and it certainly wasn't for any gain other than trying to ensure the education of our children at the school was supported. I expect the kind of schools Gove is talking of are the ones his banker friends' and corrupt politician's children go to, where the governing body is another way of greasing each others palms or oiling the old school network...