1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Apr 8, 2012.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Dam it the little beggers are back again.i have reset the traps as they are getting to cheeky and ran over the work surface....
    What do you use as bait....is the stuff the sell in the shops 'big cheese or yellow cheese' any good?
    its no use using the poisons in the shop as they seem to thrive on the dam stuff!

2. oldsomeman

Dam it the little beggers are back again.i have reset the traps as they are getting to cheeky and ran over the work surface....
    What do you use as bait....is the stuff the sell in the shops 'big cheese or yellow cheese' any good?
    its no use using the poisons in the shop as they seem to thrive on the dam stuff!

3. Peanut butter.

4. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

Hope you are using humane traps? The best way to deal with mice is to have a cat- they move out pretty quickly!

5. Joffer

Joffer New commenter

Shop bought poisons worked for us, Big Cheese traps didn't.
    However, using shop bought poisons on a Big Cheese trap was a cruel but effective success.

6. Mars Bar or Bacon fat.
    Had terrible mice problem when lived in student flat, especially when weather got cold. They always went for the Mars Bar, and would leave the stuff laid down by the 'professionals'.
    Also invested in one of those sonic rodent scare devices, that you keep plugged in to a socket in the kitchen. Had no noticeable problems after that.

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

.22 and a night vision scope.....

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Last time we had a mice problem, they seemed to like the dried fruit we put in the trap.We always use humane traps. They worked fine - once we started to make the effort to walk over to the park with them. Being lazy and chucking the mice out in the back garden was a bit pointless!

9. oldsomeman

I have this one lined up for the squirrels who seem to be ravaging the garden........

10. oldsomeman

Humane traps i dont use.i wan them dead.there seems to be lots of their relatives around to replace the dead ones.......ones even reached the bedrooms..........so i really have got it bad!
    I trying myself..and the if dont work ill have to cal in the professionals!
    And No not Boddy and Doyle[​IMG]

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This, they love it and can't carry it away.

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Bait a 'Little Nipper' trap with a raisin - it sticks on easily, keeps well and mice can't resist them.
    Put trap alongside a wall under furniture. Wait for the click...

13. oldsomeman

I dont mind the snap.its the wife who runs for cover lol.........
    some of the traps are not strong enough......either that of the mice react quicker than the trap springs! be my luck i have super mice!

14. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

we got the council to put our poison down, no idea if it's the same as you get in the shops but it worked for us, they had to come 3 or 4 times though before they all disappeared (died!!)

15. We had a terrible mouse problem in a flat we lived in when we first got together. They used to scamper over our feet when we walked, bleary eyed, into the kitchen frist thing in the morning. We tried humaine traps (hopeless - they caught the mice, but they just came back in again); poison was horrible - we'd find dead mice floating in the washing up bowl that was collecting water from a dripping tap.
    We eventually got a cat - that solved the problem.

16. The poison makes them thirsty which is supposed to make them go outside for water...dead rodents in the wall spaces smell.

17. oldsomeman

my wife dont like cats......well not in the house...and i dont like them in my garden!
    actually i grew up with cats in the house......but in those days i wasnt a gardener.
    I have laid about 8 traps down.result...zilch.the mice have got wind of it!,,,may have to try a new bait!

18. Dead rodents stuck behind newly installed, unremoveable kitchen units smell. And the week before Christmas is not a good time to have all the doors and windows open to get rid of it before your son and his never-before-met new girlfriend come to stay.

19. oldsomeman

hahahahaha..that made me smile ..but i do agreee...or the pressence of a hundred flies in the house which tells you you missed a dead one somewhere! lol

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Many years ago we had mice and we found Chocolate was the best bait for the traps. For the last 25 years we have had a cat (not the same one obvioulsy) and so are no longer troubled by them. Our current ginger moggy is an excellent ratter as well!