1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MI5 hold back intelligence from Home Secretary

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Feb 24, 2020.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

They are reported as not trusting Ms Patel with secrets. Surely the Home Secretary has to be someone who is trustworthy?

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I recall the three letter acronym we appended to certain pupil files. FAF. First word "Fick".

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

4. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

There cannot be many teachers who have been interviewed by MI5 but I am one who has experienced this twice. When at University I shared a flat with a PPE student who eventually became a civil servant in the Ministry of Defence. I was interviewed once in my place of abode and then subsequently several weeks later by a different person at my place of work. My HT at the time was very intrigued but I could not divulge the reason for my being interviewed.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's not what you'd call a government that inspires confidence is it?

Ellakits, cissy3, afterdark and 3 others like this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

There is a background here of turmoil in the civil service. pritti is trying to get rid of a senior civil servant and it appears that the civil servants are fighting back.

The civil service has hundreds of years to perfect getting rid of troublesome ministers. pritti does not stand a chance

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I knew intelligence was being held back for a number of MPs. I didn't realise that it was MI5 doing it, I just thought it was a natural thing.

cissy3, Aquamarina1234 and emerald52 like this.
  8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

So how can Priti Patel get us to trust her rejection of the accusation that can’t be trusted ? :confused:
    ;)

Alice K and emerald52 like this.
  9. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

So you have an MP who was ordered back from an official trip to to Africa to face accusations that she had unofficial, unauthorised meetings with Israeli officials . Which she then admitted and was subsequently sacked, ( 'asked to resign').
    (2017)
    And there is now some questions about how trustworthy she is and how much classified information she should be allowed access to.

Really

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Alice K, cissy3, afterdark and 4 others like this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

This morning MI5 has claimed they are not holding back information from Patel. The whole description ot comments are really smoke in the eyes and misinformation.
    The question to ask is who is feeding such statements, we are certainly daft enough to believe what the press is claiming as we do not see their sources.

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

"Sources close to the government" generally means a reporter has conjured up a fake story to fill the column inches on a slow news day.

Kandahar, nomad and lanokia like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Priti soon - she'll be gone.

Shedman, emerald52 and Alice K like this.
  13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Not soon enough. Patel... "I want criminals to feel terror",

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49213743

of course that is only the start, she'd criminalise being poor if she could.

In my opinion, a Pyschopath for all intents and purposes.

emerald52 and ajrowing like this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Despite that, great cheek bones.

Kandahar likes this.
  15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Surely the "intelligence services" have to trustworthy? Because they're not - and briefing against the Home Secretary proves it.

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

In this case I think the name of their sources rhymes with "MemWhyJive".

Kandahar likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

She's not a psychopath - but she is very dim.

18. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

MI5, MI6 and any other security service there might be are there to serve the country , not a Government and certainly not a politician, Governments come and go every four or five years whilst the UK and its citizens carries on.

I have no doubt that currently and in the past the security services have kept some details quiet for operational reasons .

It does raise the question who they are answerable to and its a "murky" world these "cloak and dagger" organisations operate in. Its probably best not to ask too many questions sometimes.

Lidnod and emerald52 like this.
  19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just ask the folks in here. They seem to know most of the answers:p

ajrowing and abwdSTEM like this.
  20. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

Mangleworzle likes this.