1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL valued?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by gsglover, Aug 26, 2012.

1. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Mfl here is compulsory for all bar the statemented so my worries are slightly different as I am not sure that 30% or more will be able to cope at all with what is being proposed on paper. We shall have to wait and see whaty the reality of the situation is.

2. toadman

toadman New commenter

Given recent events, time to reactivate this thread?

karaka likes this.
  3. toadman

toadman New commenter

If anything the new GCSE has merely served to undermine the position of MFL in our school. It was already considered a difficult subject but now...

4. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

My school has decided this year to stop MFL being compulsory for all.

But it's not optional - Y8 have to pick a language as an option, then some individuals will be pulled from languages to do extra English and Maths. It has been implied that these numbers will be small, but we don't really know.

I teach both of the bottom sets in Y8 and thre are some fab kids in there who I really hope are not withdrawn from MFL. But I think it's definitely the right decision for a small number of our weakest pupils.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

We've had our time allocation in Y8 and Y9 cut from 3 hours to 2.5 hours a week and been subsumed into World Studies.