1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL valued?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by gsglover, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Our exchanges have died due to lack of support on the part of our students and families. Trips abroad still flourish, some of a linguistic nature.

2. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

Language based trips ended some time ago for us.

3. toadman

toadman New commenter

Just had the go ahead for a trip to Cannes in the summer!

4. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

How pleasant- any kids involved?

5. toadman

toadman New commenter

Yes- it is a new exchange which should please those who feel that they are in total decline!

6. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

Well done

7. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

On the radio, last week, there were several pro language learning,articles/interviews about how foreign exchanges are invaluable,nay essential , and that money to support them will be forthcoming .Not sure who will be providing this funding but the articles were about exchanges flourishing in the private sector, but dying the death in the state sector.

8. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

This is very interesting. Have looked online but can find no help. Anybody know anything?

9. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

The British Council are going to provide info packs and support for schools to set up exchanges but I can`t find any information on the sources of funding mentioned on the radio .There is a recent article about exchanges on the School news forum here on the TES site

10. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

The article was very interseting and positive.

11. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Much appreciated

12. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Trying to resurrect an old exchange with Spain which dies due to lack of support at our end.

13. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Any luck greg?

14. toadman

toadman New commenter

Think that proposed gcse reform will just make MFL the total preserve of the academic elite and drive A level into private schools for the most part. Very disappointing.

15. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

I totally agree.

16. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

I do not understand why this is happening.Has the` reform board `totally ignored comments from the profession during the consultation.?Do current MFL teachers want the system to go back to the dark ages, rubric in the TL etc ? Have they just thrown the baby out with the bath water of controlled assessments? We all know the flaws in the existing exam system but why go down the proposed path ?Will all exam boards choose the same method of testing ?

17. They have no option or the specs will not be passed. I find the system elitist and set by people who are out of touch with reality. Reading passages from old French texts will be a nightmare, especially as the writer will have to have been dead for some time for copyright not to apply. I fear the very worst- i.e. demise of KS4 MFL in my school.

18. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

This may be the case in many state schools I fear.

19. toadman

toadman New commenter

I am slightly concerned not just about uptake for MFL in KS4 but also for the results under the new gcse as it all looks daunting. When are there some specimens to look at?