1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL testing and assessment - 11- 13 year olds

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by ellenpd, May 12, 2011.

1. Hello there, I work in Italy for the British Council (as an EFL teacher and trainer) and have been asked to give a presentation to Italian teachers on how we test and evaluate students of middle school age (11 - 13) in the UK. The specific questions are : What are the evaluation methods adopted in language classes? What types of assessment are proposed: formative or summative? What types of external examinations are there (GCSEs)l? I've done an internet search and I've found out a fair bit about AFL and APP, so I think I can cover how formative assessment works. But I'm a little unclear about how summative assessment works. Again I've found the level descriptors from the NC on the internet. What level(s) would you expect 13 year olds to reach?Do you use these level descriptors. Does anyone use the CEFR or the language ladder? Do you give grades at the end of the year, write a report to give to parents, what form does this take? I've seen some examples of end of year tests which clearly focus on the 4 skills. Do you also give periodic grammar and vocabulary tests? Finally could you briefly outline the format of GCSEs. eg how many papers, what type of testing eg cloze tests, multi choice etc. As you can see, I've done some research but I would like to say what teachers actually do. Thank you very much for your time and help, Ellen, Naples

2. Hi Ellen,

This is a very wide-ranging and challenging subject which we have been researching at Schoolshape for the last 2 years. We have integrated all the levels and qualifications, such as NC, CEFR into our Online Lang Lab on a simple sliding scale which can be applied to the full range of language resources. Do contact me direct on peter@schoolshape.com if you require further details on how this works. Peter, Jersey, CI