1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL Teaching Without a Degree in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jake86, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone may be able to shed any light on a few questions regarding MFL teaching at secondary level. I am considering a career in teaching, and would ideally like to teach MFL to secondary level. However, I only have A-levels in French (B) and German (C), as I chose to do International Relations for my degree. Does anybody know a possible route into this, if at all? Most PGCE providers request that 50% of the candidate's degree is in the relevant subject, which I fully understand, but something for which I don't qualify. I am just trying to find out how limited my options are. I have read you can do a certain amount of modules at the Open University in order to transfer your credits, do anyone have any experience of this? I don't really want to go back University for three more years, as I can do without more debt. There are also subject knowledge enhancement courses, but again, I don't know how eligible I am for this, any ideas?
    If anyone has any useful information to share, that would be great.
    Jake

2. sarahebery

sarahebery New commenter

I think the key word here is request !! I am a native Spanish speaker but only have a level fr and ger . got onto a PGCE easily .
    So ask

3. cives1

cives1 New commenter

The University of Reading do a subject knowledge enhancement course that lasts one year and brings anybody with a degree in any subject up to degree level French. I think you can even claim a bursary... See the link below.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/education/pg-taught/ioe-PGCESecondaryFrenchConversion.aspx

4. I disagree with one of these posts.
    As a native speaker, your linguistic capabilities will not be doubted in any way whatsoever, and having a second and third language will obviously stand you in good stead.
    The original poster (a native English speaker) and may not be able to explain some of the more intricate details of language or cultural aspects, which a native speaker or someone who has studied a language degree has acquired during their time.
    Teaching languages is not easy if you're not confident with your language(s) - I found this out to my detriment.
    Check out what options are available to you and let us know!

5. mjensenaza

mjensenaza New commenter

Hi,
    I'm in a similar situation to above.
    Can you tell me how long a subject knowledge enhancement course lasts? E.g. If I were to get a place on a course starting this year and then they said I needed to do a SKE, would that put me back a year? Or would they just send me for a sunny holiday in Spain to catch up before term starts?!
    I have an interview for a place. I'm not clear if my degree, teaching EFL in Spain, speaking Spanish etc. are going to add up to 50%
    Thanks

6. If you're a native Spanish speaker, then in reality your English may be tested at interview, but it's not something to worry about too much. Your degree of teaching EFL will have taught you many transferable skills to use in a PGCE.
    My SKE started in May 2011 and lasted until, with a 2 week stay in France included. We were paid a bursary as well, and classes lasted from 10-3 daily. Some of my fellow SKE students were ab initio (as in no French at all), whilst I had the benefit of A Level French. For me it was nice to have my French "reactivated", but you get out of these courses what you put into them.
    I would say, that keep an SKE course in mind at your interview because it does make you more employable long term. Ask your interviewer and find out the details if you can.
    My SKE was based in Portsmouth and lasted 4 months, but again that did require a separate interview and places on the SKE were distributed to people who actually had prospective PGCE course places.
    Bare in mind that SKE courses are not as common as PGCE courses.
    Hope this helps!
    Tobías