1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL teachers teaching languages that weren't part of their degree.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by judodan, Feb 1, 2011.

1. How many of you teach languages that you didn't do at degree level? I know many teachers obviously do this, but I was looking for some examples. My degree was in Arabic, but I am doing my PGCE to teach French, German and Russian.

2. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I teach French and Spanish, and although I did a couple of first year modules in Spanish, it wasn't an official part of my degree and I didn't do any during the rest of the course. My Spanish obviously isn't as good as my French, but it's good enough to do up to GCSE once I did some revision!

3. My degree is French with Norwegian subsidiary - I did A level German at school but didn't want to do it at degree level because I didn't enjoy it as much as French and didn't particularly want to teach it. So guess what- I ended up in charge of German for many years...

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I have taught Italian and German GCSE, both of which I did at A-level.

5. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Technically, you qualify as a teacher, not as a teacher of a specific subject so in theory you can be asked to teach anything ( except RE )

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Last night I dreamed that I had a huge argument with my headteacher and ended up resigning because 25% of my new timetable was made up of subjects other than MFL, including a Y11 top set maths! The things your brain imagines... [​IMG]

7. I am curious, why could you be asked to teach anything but not RE?

I suppose somebody can be very fluent in a language without necessarily having a studied it at university. The problem is not having studied it or not at university, the problem is having teachers who obviously can't speak a language teaching it.

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I presume it's because that's the only subject that you could refuse to teach on moral/ethical grounds. My point was simply that we are not officially teachers of a subject.
    Of course, I'm concerned about subject knowledge in language teaching, especially as MFL is the one area where many people think they have decent subject knowledge even with no qualifications ( we've all met them in the staffroom: two weeks in Spain every summer and they're fluent, especially dangerous when they cover your lesson and you have to spend the next two lessons convincing your students that no, you DO NOT say it like that !)

9. My degree is in German and I did a little open-access course in French and a subject enhancement course to brush up my skills. I'm qualified to teach German and French & can teach up to GCSE but prefer KS3 as i juts don't have the same confidence in French. Anyone feel the same there?!