1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL teachers - learning a language in 3 months? (SKE Course)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by KL_1411, Aug 20, 2018.

1. KL_1411

KL_1411 New commenter

I’m nearing the end of my SKE course in Spanish, which is a condition of me starting my teacher training as a secondary French teacher. I feel I’ve completely neglected my French for 3 months, and my Spanish is still at absolute beginners level

Language teachers who had to pick up another language: how did you do it? Is beginners level enough to be able to teach lower school at least? I had complete confidence in myself until I was told to do this SKE course, but now I have doubts in both my languages…

Any advice or experience welcome ! Thanks in advance.

2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Sadly you will not be the worst. There is hope because you are aware of what you need to do. I have come across those who think that their level is fine and believe me it was low. You still have a year of training ahead and you will need to keep going. Basically beginners level is not enough but heads will employ an NQT with your skills anyway. Good luck.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. KL_1411

KL_1411 New commenter

That's....somewhat reassuring, thanks! I was fairly confident in my French fluency, as I lived in France for 3 years, but I was hoping to have some time to go over some basics of grammar so I can better explain them to my students. Instead I've been doing this Spanish course, and still I'm on such a basic level. Wish I had the time to get better at both before landing in the classroom....

4. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Your grammatical explanations will get better with practice.That is what you will learn on the course. Your oral competence in French will be fine, even more than fine so no worries at all on that count. I would be happy to have a student who had lived in France for three years! The Spanish will come. There are people teaching mfl out there who are literally one lesson ahead of the kids. Good luck!

estrella7 and agathamorse like this.
  5. londomolari

londomolari New commenter

Get yourself the Spanish Linguaphone course from the 70s and work through that in earnest. You'll find a month with that far more productive than that communicative rubbish they'll have had you doing on that SKE course - you know, the TWA stuff you'll be doing with your pupils in class.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. KL_1411

KL_1411 New commenter

Ah that's interesting. They have me on purely Rosetta Stone based learning (in theory - at this point I'm trying everything) which I find really poor quality. I think it's just quite dated technology, not user friendly, clunky old webpages. Quite shocking that's meant to lead to being able to teach it ! At least it's giving me ideas on how not to teach.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. KL_1411

KL_1411 New commenter

Thanks !

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. londomolari

Oh my giddy! If you have Rosetta Stone on your computer, uninstall it right now! If you have the software in any hard format, burn it. Right now. I don't care who's watching. Just get rid of it. Exorcise it! Rosetta Stone is UTTER GARBAGE!!! Which institution was it that administered this SKE? I want its name!

I meant it about the Linguaphone course. Get it. Not the newer one with 6 books - the 70s one with the 3 books - Lessons, Handbook, Written Exercises and tapes. You need a good, strong, old school grammar-based course with audio and that is one of the best in my opinion. Look on everyone's favourite auction site and you'll get this treasure for peanuts. I'm tempted to mention Pimsleur too but the course is in Latin American Spanish which is a little different, although the method is far superior to that stinking Rosetta Stone c**p.

9. KL_1411

KL_1411 New commenter

Haha glad I'm not the only one who hates it. Unfortunately I have to complete 120 hours of it to pass the course, otherwise I won't be allowed to enrol in September.

10. londomolari

If you look at any serious language learner's blog or a forum where language learners hang out, you'll find very few who don't share my sentiments towards Rosetta Stone. All joking aside, though, I think it's an utter disgrace to pass off 120 obligatory hours of that nonsense off as preparation to teach a language. It's blatant malpractice, in my opinion. What a valid and effective course of this nature should have done is to teach you the language rapidly and intensively, using a grammar-based approach, at the same time teaching you how to teach it by highlighting what to look out for from the perspective of the anglophone learner. You would now be in a much better position to teach it and far more confident in your basic ability. What you have written here says it all about the course. Instead, you are left totally unprepared to teach Spanish, and in doubt about your own abilities in the language. The knock-on effect has even projected doubts onto your ability in your other language. How is that, in any way, good? I'm annoyed for you!

I wasn't going to do this again, but it might be time for Londo to make a comeback and start ranting anew. Language teaching has become far too complacent in the UK and someone needs to start shouting about it. My dander is up!

cathr, estrella7, minka1 and 2 others like this.