1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL teacher teaching abroad in near future (GCSE & A-level experience issue)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Athel, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Athel

Athel New commenter

Hi all,

It's my first time posting on this forum and I hope people will be able to help me.

I am a native French, and did a PGCE in French and German qualified to teach KS3, 4, and 5 (this bit is important, you'll see why later in the post) 2 years ago. I am now finishing my second year of teaching NQT+1 in a new school where I teach French and Mandarin at KS3 (not German).

The school I am currently working at in the UK is a new school and only has KS3 pupils for now, which means that even though I had KS4 GCSE and KS5 A-level experience during my PGCE, I've only had KS3 experience as an NQT and NQT +1.

I know international schools are mostly teaching IB anyway, but I am thinking of working abroad very soon, ideally in China or Japan (but would also consider Malaysia and South Korea). My questions are:

- Could my lack of GCSE and A-level experience prevent me from getting a job in a good international school even though I am qualified teaching 11-19 and despite the fact I have 2 years experience?

A few things that might be useful to know is that prior to my PGCE, I worked 1 year in a school in the UK as a French assistant, and I worked mostly with GCSE and A-level students so that was good experience but I have no idea if this would count for an international school because I was not qualified back then?

I also speak fluent Mandarin and I am currently doing a distance learning master, but not sure if these might be helpful or not.

I would be grateful for any help I will receive on the forum.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  2. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

I'll send you one of these conversation things.

3. Athel

Athel New commenter

Many thanks mermy for your kind help! I would be interested in hearing other people's experience and point of view as well