1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL teacher needing advice about new KS3 assessment systems!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mazman, Feb 25, 2016.

1. mazman

mazman New commenter

I teach secondary MFL and have been given the task of creating a new assessment system within our MFL department, now we have seen the back of NC levels. I'm a little out of touch as I've recently returned from maternity leave and I'd like to know what other MFL departments have done. I've been researching the internet and Rachel Hawkes seems to have done some fantastic work on this (steps 1-10) Has anyone used these? Has anyone any success stories to share with regards to replacing the NC levels in their department? This is the first time I've used the TES forum for this purpose, so I hope this thread reaches the right people! Thank you.

2. nellydean

nellydean New commenter

If your school will let you use it, I would use the Pearson Progression scale. It is on a scale from 1-12, with 1 being a complete beginner to 12 being the highest performing GCSE student.
    Our school are not allowed to use it as our head wants us to use GCSE criteria straight from the beginning of year 7. Because of this I have adapted the progression scale working on the assumption that step 3 on the scale is roughly a grade 1 GCSE. If you want to have a look at this, it can be downloaded here:
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...ptors-1-9-for-gcse-french-and-german-11228396
    The original version with 1-12 gradings can be downloaded here:
    http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolle...port-for-Progression/11-16-MFL/11-16-MFL.aspx

pascuam49 and agathamorse like this.
  3. JayneP

JayneP New commenter

This is great, thank you for sharing! It seems that in your GCSE one, step 12 from the Pearson scale is missing, which they equate to an A*. Is it combined in elsewhere?
    Thank you.

4. parkert

parkert New commenter

Thanks for these and taking the time. I'll wait to see what you say to the comments re missing bits before sharing with my colleagues