1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL secondary observation

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by psc_90, May 23, 2012.

1. psc_90

psc_90 New commenter

Hi, I have an interview tomorrow for a PGCE direct placement with the school for secondary MFL spanish and french. I was just wondering during my lesson observation (which is a 30 minute lesson on the presente tense in spanish with year 7) how much of it should be in the target language? Obviously they won't understand much, but should I try to do it all in spanish and repeat in english after? Or ask them what bits they understood etc.? Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. psc_90

psc_90 New commenter

Hi, I have an interview tomorrow for a PGCE direct placement with the school for secondary MFL spanish and french. I was just wondering during my lesson observation (which is a 30 minute lesson on the presente tense in spanish with year 7) how much of it should be in the target language? Obviously they won't understand much, but should I try to do it all in spanish and repeat in english after? Or ask them what bits they understood etc.? Any advice would be much appreciated!

3. I find that how much TL you use varies vastly from school to school, department to department and teacher to teacher. With a year 7 class teaching a grammatical point, I personally would not overdo it on the TL. Having said this, don't do away with it all together. There are plenty of ways of getting it in without loosing the pupils. Going through the lesson objectives, doing the register, even greeting the pupils in the TL as they enter the room.
    I realise that's probably about as clear as mud by my usual approach is to use as much as I can without being dogmatic in using TL.
    Hope that helps.
    HH

4. psc_90

psc_90 New commenter

Thanks, that's a big help. Just wanted to make sure I don't seem like an *** trying to do too much in the TL. I'll definitely make sure I do the aims etc. in TL but when explaining will focus on making sure they understand it, then probably do an activity in the TL to put it to use!
    Many thanks for the advice!