1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL Rooming

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Brillantina, May 20, 2018.

1. Brillantina

Brillantina New commenter

hi all,

I’m looking for some advice: SLT want to move MFL to a smaller area to accommodate Maths.....

The area in question is significantly smaller than what we currently have (going from 4 big classrooms with 2 large cupboards for storage, a small office and an intervention/speaking room to 3 smaller classrooms with several small, ‘moveable’ cabinets for storage, no office and no intervention room) and two of the classrooms are separated by a partition wall.....

In general, I don’t think this move is beneficial to MFL in any way and will create unnecessary stress and upheaval to the dept. We are losing a lot, all because maths department ‘want to be together’ and ‘there’s more of them’..... i feel like it’s a no win situation as SLT have clearly made up their minds already...needless to say, none of the MFL department are happy about it and i fear this situation will cause resentment in the long run.....

Re: the partition wall : I think this will be a nightmare for MFL lessons, particularly when you have two different languages being taught at the same time and you’re doing listening activities. Also, we play a lot of music in our MFL lessons at KS3, this again, will be a concern with a partition wall, if one class is KS4/5 and the other KS3....

I’d like to know your thoughts please, if you have taught or are currently teaching MFL where you have a partition wall between two classrooms.

Ideally pros and cons would be great as I’m struggling to find any pros at the moment!!

Thanks for your help!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Nightmare! :eek:
    It's the possible interference with the ability to be able to 'hear correctly', which is the most disturbing. The loss of the smaller rooms for speaking practice will also be a big loss and could possibly be detrimental to results. Loss of storage for the many visual aids / speaking paraphernalia etc will alos be a potential problem I feel.

It sounds as if SLT are definitely going ahead, but could you put your concerns to someone? Ask them to look at all the stuff you currently have in storage, how often withdrawal room for speaking /listening practice are needed on the timetable, and suggest if you do have to move is there a possibility of some more suitable accommodation to your needs?

Brillantina and MarieAnn18 like this.
  3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

@Brillantina If you use your classrooms for the external listening exams, you could point out that the suggested area would mean that pupils would be disadvantaged in exams. Or that there would be upheaval at exam times as you would need to use other classrooms in the school for the exams. Are your current rooms also carpeted and curtained to help with acoustics? That’s either an argument to keep the rooms or a request for refurbishing the new rooms to make them more fit for purpose. Have you been in to see your HT directly to discuss this face to face? Things aren’t always set in concrete and an open discussion will at least make your HT aware of your concerns before he/she makes a final decision.

4. BrightonEarly

Is there a different direction in which the Maths department could expand?

5. BrightonEarly

Who is currently using the proposed smaller rooms? If it isn’t Maths, then this department should also be brought into the discussion.

6. BrightonEarly

If the move does go ahead, consider all of the small offices/rooms in the general area that could be used for speaking exams. You could request that you be able to book/use these rooms when needed. Ideally an office with a small classroom nearby to use as a holding area for waiting speaking test candidates.

7. BrightonEarly

Is there a fifth room in that area? Then you could use the partitioned classroom as one large room. Great for special language events.

8. BrightonEarly

If it goes ahead, could you ask them to take down the partition wall and replace it with brick over the summer break? This would improve acoustics and provide more display areas.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You know this reminds me of a Head a very long time ago who pursued something v similar . From big rooms ( albeit staff walked though them like a corridor to get to science labs ! ) and great storage to a ‘ cupboard’ ( accessed via another classroom ) and partitioned areas... my own new room had slanting roof - ludicrous . Ofsted visited and our subject area was deemed’ good ‘ in a setting which went into measures . I recall the inspector saying in his report that he was going to use a word re our accommodation which he had never used before ! I think it was ‘ unacceptable’ - ha ! I could have given him a few alternatives - :rolleyes:. Feel for you

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

You are onto a loser against Maths- see thread about languages being valued!!

MosaiK likes this.
  11. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

GSG is bang on the money - Maths will win every time.

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

You need to know your negotiating point. They will move you. Absolutely. So don’t try and think you can negotiate on that. However, do protest and say that you don’t want to move. Extract different concessions in return. I would agree with others. You need refurbishment of the current rooms. Perhaps build a new speaking exam room within the new rooms.
    I would suggest you check the exam board as to be an exam centre you have to have specific requirements. I don’t know about MFL, but it isn’t straightforward. You could tell the head that you would have to be 'reappriased' as an exam centre. Stress them into spending money on building you facilities and kit.

MosaiK likes this.