1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL PGCE Interview

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Trucos444, Mar 18, 2020.

1. I have my MFL PGCE interview next week and I am required to do a 4 minute microteaching activity in Spanish to KS4. It can be on anything, though they recommend basing it around a grammar feature where possible.

I was thinking about doing it on the preterite, any ideas on the sorts of possible activities? Would KS4 typically be taught how to use the preterite anyway?

2. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

How about stem-changing verbs in the preterite? And yes they will be expected to recognise and appropriately use the preterite.

However, I'd keep it simple and do a good old fashioned ser/estar with lots of assessment for learning / learner participation through quizzing.

monicagbeaty likes this.
  3. msr2015

msr2015 New commenter

4 minutes is a really short amount of time so decide on a specific element of the preterite. Could it be key irregular verbs? Key regular verbs in the first person? Just -ar verbs? I would plan an element of explicit instruction followed by questioning and pattern spotting. If given the chance to reflect I would explain that practice would come next. Using visuals might also be helpful such as where it falls on the ‘continuum of tenses’.