1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL PGCE Interview HELP!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by up810338, Dec 29, 2019.

1. up810338

up810338 New commenter

I have a couple of PGCE MFL (French and Spanish) interviews in the next couple weeks. For all of them, I have to do a test in both my languages, an individual interview and a task of some sort. For one of the interviews, the task is just reading and being ready to talk about a text so that should be fine. For the other one, I'm a bit stuck.

For my Sussex interview I have to do this;
    For the group task interview you are asked to teach a specific grammar point of your choice in a short presentation of no more than 5 to 10 minutes in your main teaching language. Previous candidates have presented on teaching genders, adjective endings, tenses and comparatives for instance. You should pitch the level of language and challenge at pupils aged between 11 and 14 and you should make a judicious use of target language in your explanations and activities. You should also aim to ensure that you understand why English speaking students might find the grammatical concept you are introducing challenging or equally easy to assimilate and apply. How you teach the grammar point is flexible but you are advised to ensure your presentation engages your audience and demonstrates your own competence in the language. In the group task it is expected that the interviewee delivering their presentation will be doing so as if to a group of students aged 11-14. You and the rest of the group are asked to reflect on the presentations delivered including your own and give feedback.

Please note there will be a data projector for Power Point available and you are encouraged to use this in your presentation. You should bring your presentation on a memory stick.

My issue with this is that it's such a sort time frame. Any recommendations? What topic? Do I just present the topic? Do I have to actually teach it?

If anyone has had an interview at Sussex I would really appreciate the help

Thanks

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Try something short and easy, say adjective endings in French with colours. 5 - 10 minutes for this with y7 for example is ample time. Make sure it's easy and interactive, how would this adjective change etc. I think they want to see how you would approach teaching a grammar point.

Shedman and install like this.