1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL language learning/classroom apps

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by fflur01, Dec 9, 2016.

1. fflur01

fflur01 New commenter

Hi all,
    I've been using Duolingo for schools with my class and was wondering whether anyone knew of any others that are out there? My pupils liked the points and the competitive element of it but they found out how to hack it so that they could increase their points without necessarily completeing the lessons.. sneaky!
    Any ideas? We've tried Quizlet live with our KS4 and they like that in preparation for exams.
    Thank you,
    Fflur :)

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We use www.memrise.com for vocabulary across Spanish, French, German and Latin - the students really like it and it's brilliant across KS3, 4 and 5.

4. Elly40

Elly40 New commenter

I use memrise too. Students love it

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Showbie might be worth investigating? You can create specific tasks for your pupils - for example, you can record yourself asking a question in the language you teach and the pupil can tap a record button to speak their answer. You can have a whole series of questions. Once they've completed the task you, as the teacher, can view and hear their responses and speak or write a comment for them. I think Showbie has lots of possibilities!

6. dppc55555

dppc55555 New commenter

WordUnited has a varied range of language learning colourful flashcard kits which are ideal for whole class activities or individual practice. They do French, Spanish, German and also English and others: http://wordunited.com/en/home/

7. willcott

willcott New commenter

We use thisislanguage.com (French, Spanish and German for KS3,4 and 5) and it is generally popular with pupils. £ however.