1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ianj6, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

The interviews I've been in are just a 5 minute, (if that), chat with the HOD in the main interview part, along the lines of "How did your year in france go?" They're just checking you're fluent and reasonably accurate. I wouldn't get hung up about your answer. There quite a few people who will try to apply for MFL posts when MFL is their second subject, (A-level French then a degree in History for example). Its a small part of the interview, if you're NQT they will go for behaviour management strategies, assessment, extra curriculars seem to be quite in vogue aswell

Ian

2. Thanks for that Ian

Was just worried I'd be asked about classroom management and assessment etc in French/Spanish and need to know technical terminology!
    But if it's a general convo, that's no prob as my degree is in French!

3. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Sorry Hungry,
    I didn't make myself clear, the assessment, behaviour etc q's are done in English normally. The TL bit is just a chat, actually it's a bit of a break in the interview for you as you can relax a bit and have a nice chat with the HOD about something fun!!!

Ian

4. Hi, these are the questions I've been asked recently. The TL questions - I've had a range. One asked me about educational issues/curriculum, one didn't bother, one about year abroad and one about how I practise the language and keep up my skill.

Interview questions

1. How do you think the lesson went and what would you change next time?
    2. Why have you applied for this job?
    3. Can you give an example of a lesson where you have given students the opportunity to work independently?
    4. How do you help students to make the transition to A level?
    5. How do you establish boundaries with students?
    6. How do you manage the work-life balance?
    7. What ICT do you use?
    8. How do you deal with behaviour issues?

Hope that helps - good luck!

5. Thanks guys, that is REALLY helpful!!

Just trying not to stress out too much as I really need a job for Sept!

Thanks loads for the replies

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

We have a standard set of questions for ALL candidates, whatever their subject. They are designed to show up who can/does think about their lessons and the school as an entity.

It is in HoD time with the candidate(s) - i.e. a fairly informal session - that HoDs are expected to make up their mind to the candidate(s)'s subject knowledge.

I have just appointed a new teacher - as she IS Spanish, I was more interested in her command of English than of Spanish (obviously!!), but one hopes that no-one would get through a PGCE without a rock-solid knowledge of the language, so I'm not sure it it is necessarily my place to test it out.