1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MFL in Primary schools - Statutory or not?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by SJK1985, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have been given role of MFL Spanish co-ordinator in my primary school. I have heard lots of different things regarding whether or not MFL is no longer compulsory in primary schools? We have been following scheme of work for past 3 years but am unsure what the situation is at the moment and would appreciate any advice!
    Thanks

2. according to last qca post primary mfl is no longer statutory; http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-1-and-2/subjects/mfl/index.aspx but i cant find anything from the DfE

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

In a word, not.
    It's never been compulsory, but under the Labour Govt we were heading that way. Primary Languages are an <u>entitlement</u>, and the current Govt has said several times that it wants primary schools that are already teaching a language to continue to do so. So I would recommend that your school continues to teach a language, ensuring that your scheme of work shows progression from word level to sentence level to paragraph level, and that it takes note of the 2010 Ofsted report which said that Primary Schools need to improve reading, writing and intercultural understanding.
    Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

4. tammyround

tammyround New commenter

I agree with Geekie - it was not statutory but an entitlement during it's introduction with a view to becoming statutory when the pickup was at a satisfactory level. But the elections happened and everything was put on hold pending the big curriculum review which is still ongoing from what I understand. The decision to make it statutory is on hold until then, not cancelled.
    In the meantime, a big indicator is the move towards the English Bac at GCSE where students get awarded it when they achieve 5 GCSE c and above in English, Maths, Languages and two other subjects.
    MFL is being made increasingly important at secondary. It seems like it's here to stay, so keep up the good work x